• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR in DDR2...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bootlag2004

Registered
ok, my friend just tried putting a DDR stick in a DDR2 slot and then he turn the computer on :eek: Well it didn't post and then he called me saying it won't turn on and so on :rolleyes: I'm thinking that the motherboard just got fried, but what I want to know is, did anything else get fried?

First, Welcome to the forums!

Second, if he fried something, you wont know until you try to boot the system with ddr2 memory since you cant boot a system without at least 1 stick of memory.

You'd be able to check certain items in his computer to see if they are fried or not, like video card, sound card, dvd drive, hard drive, and power supply.

However I'd guess the system is fine.

I wasnt even aware that ddr memory fit in a ddr2 slot???

Well DDR is shorter than DDR2, so I don't see why it wouldn't fit. It just wouldn't snap in to place.
But to the OP, I don't see anything getting fried by doing that, just no booting up. So just try a stick of DDR2

Originally Posted by TheCheat
First, Welcome to the forums!
Thanks for the welcome :)

Now I think I should add something. He was trying to upgrade his system from 512MB to 1GB and what he did was the 1st slot was 512 DDR2 and was working fine, so he tried to add 512 DDR to the 3rd slot and then he turned it on. Now after he called me I told him to take the DDR out and then turn it on. But no post, no nothing. Thats why I think he fried the MB.

Originally Posted by TheCheat
I wasnt even aware that ddr memory fit in a ddr2 slot???
DDR and DDR2 are the same length, but the notch is moved about 2 pins. Also DDR2 has more pins than DDR. So DDR shouldn't fit in a DDR2 slot, but knowing my friend, he forced it and most likely bent/broke something when he put it in. I will know more when I pick it up this weekend.

blah, yea i was thinking pins not length, I'm a noob. But jamming it in won't matter, the only thing that happened when I jammed mem into the slot backwards was the mem. died.

If he tried to jam it in reall hard the pins on the ram might be stuffed.... But i doubt the MB is dead

What motherboard is it? I would say if he managed to cram DDR into a DDR2 slot and boot the system, then the memory and motherboard are most likely trash.

bootlag2004 said:
Thanks for the welcome :)

Now I think I should add something. He was trying to upgrade his system from 512MB to 1GB and what he did was the 1st slot was 512 DDR2 and was working fine, so he tried to add 512 DDR to the 3rd slot and then he turned it on. Now after he called me I told him to take the DDR out and then turn it on. But no post, no nothing. Thats why I think he fried the MB.

DDR and DDR2 are the same length, but the notch is moved about 2 pins. Also DDR2 has more pins than DDR. So DDR shouldn't fit in a DDR2 slot, but knowing my friend, he forced it and most likely bent/broke something when he put it in. I will know more when I pick it up this weekend.

Have you cleared the CMOS?

I just picked the system up from his place. At first you can easily see that he did force it in there pretty good. Both clips and the notch are broken on the 3rd RAM slot.
Originally Posted by Grande Juan
What motherboard is it?
oh, yea sorry I didn't post that, it is a Aopen i915Ga-EFRII. Also I think you are right with both being trashed, because the memory doesn't work in my system. All I get is 2 beeps meaning DEAD, so I'll RMA that. As for the motherboard, I have replaced everything in the system, CPU, RAM and Video Card, and still no post. I have tried clearing the CMOS, and removing the battery too, but still nothing, so I think he'll need a new motherboard. But if anyone can think of anything else to try to get this working, I'm all ears :)

Back