• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basics on PCIe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flyboy

Registered
I'm really new to this so please forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions.

I see on a lot of new motherboards two PCIe x16 slots and a couple PCIe x1. Most folks seem to be using the 2nd PCIe x16 slot for SLI. My question is if I don't plan on implementing SLI, can the 2nd PCIe x16 slot be used for something else or is it dedicated for video only?

My second question is one I sort of asked on a different thread, but would like some clarification.

If I have a mobo that normally is expecting the video card in the first PCIe x16 slot, can I stick a standard PCI video card in it instead? Just until I save up for a good PCIe video card like the GeForce 8800 GFX? Would the standard PCI video card get plugged into the PCIe x16 slot, or would it go into a standard PCI slot? I realize it would not perform very well, but I would just like to buy a little time.

pci would go in the standard pci slot. every mobo ive seen supports booting the pci as primary vga.

Back