• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good startup wc setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmMoen

So I was toying around with the idea of watercooling my rig and I saw this package on another forum.

WATERCOOLING PACKAGE DEAL
- Laing D4
- Danger Den TDX, lapped and mirror polished
- Danger Den Nozzle Accelerator Kit
- HWLabs Black Ice Extreme 120mm
- 8' of Clearflex 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, Uncut
- 6 Black Plastic Tubing Clamps
- Rad and TDX use DD 1/2" High Flow Barbs
- Full Bottle of Swiftech HydrX
- D4, Rad, Clamps and Tubing are BRAND NEW
- Complete kit, ready to go, for $100 - Save $15
- Add a Maze4 for $20!

I have dfi expert with dc opty 170 and xfx 7900gs. Would this be a good setup for me?

115 shipped from canada. how much will this quiet me down? I have 6 hdds and then there is still the psu (ocz 600w gamextreme)

that 1x rad will have absolutly no trouble with your cpu, so if you have a noisy cpu fan it will help a lot. you have room for your gpu in the loop too. You wont get the low 30's a lot of people are boasting about around here, but they will be respecably under 40.
keep in mind though that you still have a fan on the rad, and the pump DOES make noise. the liang is pretty quiet, but the d4 is a little noisier than the d5. but depending on your heat load, a single 120mm fan at 7 volts and that pump, id say your hard drives will still be the noisiest part.

That depends on how you set up the fans on the radiator and which ones you use. Something like a single Panaflo L1 would be extremely quiet but will not cool as good as two in push/pull format. To really quiet down add the maze4 and remove the vid cooler as well but that will add more heat to the loop as well. I don't see it listed so pick up some shrouds for the rad, they will help in cooling and keep it quieter as well.

To best way to find your noise/heat sweet spot is to hook up the fans to a control device of some sort then set them to where you like the noise, then overclock. Your limit will be lower than with the fans on high but it wont be too noisy.

wannaoc said:
To best way to find your noise/heat sweet spot is to hook up the fans to a control device of some sort then set them to where you like the noise, then overclock. Your limit will be lower than with the fans on high but it wont be too noisy.
Good advice.

Those opty's can put out a decent amount of heat though, so be careful. I was actully looking at your sig instead of the last sentance of your post so your system is identical to mine.
I run just the one bix rad with a shroud and one of the new scythe sflex fans at 7 volts.
Keeps me in the mid high 30's with moderate oc's on both, but when i push the opty up it starts to run in the low 40's depending on gpu load.
the 7900gs is really not a big concern with heat. on stock cooling it runs in the 60's and with the zalman the mid 50's.
under water it increased maybe 3 degrees from idle/load.

You should definatly invest in a shroud. the coolshrouds are popular for this and are pretty cheap from most sites, like $10. you can also use ghetto cardboard and duct tape if you want.
you will be looking for a larger radiator soonish though, to extract best performence from that opty. This is not to say that what you got there is bad, its perfect for a firsttimer =) just plan for experimenting.

by the way i have had this opty up to 2.75 already and it was running (says everest ultimate) at 38C. Am I looking at a huge drop? Hmmm. If only i won the lottery this would be a much easier decision. Plus what will the gf think when I come home with a huge box of wc supplies... :)

Oh and will this all fit in my cmstacker? I have two of the hdd cages taking up a total of 6 5.25 slots and then the dvd drive and power panel so I have 4 open 5.25" slots left. I just cannot have any of this outside of the case at all.

It should fit fine.. you wont get any lower temps than that though. just a little quieter maybe. 1x rad isnt really any better than a big tower heatsink, but it allows you to centralize your heat, which helps other things =)

but with a cmstacker it is basically like having it sit out in the open air so hot air in the case really shouldnt be an issue. I should ask you guys what you think of my next mod maybe. The cmstacker case has that huge open circle on the side panel. I was wondering if i could buy a 200mm fan for the 900series antec and have it blowing down on the mobo. I wonder how thick those fans are... and expensive

edit: by the way is the navy in my sig too dark to see? I am colorblind so I can't see it at all.

this is what i did with my rad
100_1090_1024x768.jpg

it seemed most logical...i just need to get a filter under those fans...

Back