• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B & Known RAM issues (which memory to use?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

betterlife18

I will soon be building a gaming system to overclock (attempting 500x7 like everyone else I guess) using the P5B (non-deluxe) motherboard, along with 2x512 sticks of DDR800 (will later buy an additional 2x512) and either a E6300 or E6400 cpu (haven't decided which yet).

I have heard about the bizarre no-post issues due to unsupported RAM. I am curious to which seems to be the most stable brand/model for this motherboard. Timings aren't that big of a deal, but I don't want them a retarded high like 5-5-5-15. I want to to limit a 1GB kit to $140-150, and really want to buy it from Zip Zoom Fly since that is where I'm buying all the other parts.

Here is the link to all of the DDR800 @ ZZF.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=110808

Please help me pick out the most stable ram for the P5B!

Thanks,
Justin

*UPDATE* (2 hours later)

It seems that Asus has just released a new BIOS version on 1/31. Seems to be many fixes:

P5B Release BIOS 1102
**Please update AsusUpdate to V7.09.02 or later prior making this update.**
**This BIOS does not support roll back to earlier BIOS**
1. Finetune Q-Fan control algorithm
2. Enable EIST under VISTA
3. Update CPU Ucode to support new CPU
4. Fix BBS device string not correct under AHCI mode
5. Support SLP2.0 string
6. Fix HCT unreported I/O and memory issuse
7. Support disable USB function item
8. Allow disable XD for conroe L
9. Add full reset after change DRAM mode to enhance memory compatibility
10. Support CONROE E0 CPU(FSB 1333)
11. Fix AC Power loss function not correct
12. Support x4 DIMM

Perhaps that will fix a lot of RAM/no-post issues.

Either way, I'd still love some input on known-good RAM for this motherboard.

Last edited:
I know first hand how much a pain in the a$$ this board can be... Sadly my old p4 northwood on a p4c800-e dlx died after much OC love. So time came to upgrade and I went with this board and didnt notice all the hype about the ram. Got everything together, booted up and.... okay wheres the BIOS... Wtf wheres the Beeps, Oh god not good.

So after a few days of looking around I found out about the ram and that old rev's of the bios only boots with 1.8v ram and mine of corse is 2.1v so it just wont boot. Now I have tryed everything I can but put in some 1.8v ram because I just dont have ddr2 ram laying around like I do ddr1...

If only I can get it to boot ill be set to update the bios and use my ram =( stupid thing driving me nuts.

I was using Geil Ultra http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144028
I had to run it as cs5 15 15 15 2.1v but it worked fine @ 800 after that tweak.

BUT... I flashed that self same bios and got a checksum failing paperweight out of the deal. I guess from what I read after the fact was some other bios upgrades have sent P5Bs into a tailspin regarding having PCI devices plugged in at post? Anyways, I had my 5-6 chances at a checksum reprogram and it farted out during what would be the last one.

I loved the 0908 beta, I should have stuck with it. :(

Wow, so that um... really SUCKS. What are you guys doing about it now?

DaveMan, are you going to RMA it or get some DDR2 that will work?

Mykex, in your sig it says vanilla/dead, what's up with that? Is it currently running?

Last edited:
I have p5b-e rev 1.01 so I looked at the spec and bought
1.8-2.1 ram with 5-5-5-15.

betterlife18 said:

Im headed to a local shop today (Been working ALOT last few days had no time till now) Im gunna buy a stick o' Kingston *1.8v* 512MB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 =\ hah not much els I can do :beer: Might be able to return it after.

Ill let ya know if it works.

Last edited:
DaveMan said:
Im headed to a local shop today (Been working ALOT last few days had no time till now) Im gunna buy a stick o' Kingston *1.8v* 512MB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 =\ hah not much els I can do :beer: Might be able to return it after.

Ill let ya know if it works.

Just look for Kingston DDR4300 with D9GCT which I have been using for the past 6 months. Look at the CPUZ it tells a story.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=157726

betterlife18 said:

Mykex, in your sig it says vanilla/dead, what's up with that? Is it currently running?

It's dead... never came out of the checksum loop of doom then stopped trying to post altogether. I cant even get a warning beep out of it with everything removed from the board.

Unfortunately I guess all I had to do was strip the PCI and USB stuff and it should have posted... someone reported that worked on another forum.

The Kingston *1.8v* 512MB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 worked like a charm it booted right up, Im installing XP now, Once I get it up ill update the BIOS and my other memory *should* work. Then ill return the kingston for a refund =p

It worked, my bios was 507 or somthing reallllllllly old. Installed xp, updated bios to 1004, shut down the pc cut the power to it and took out the crappy 1.8v 667 ram and put in my fancy 2.1v 800 ram and it booted right up.

One thing I noticed after installing asus probe is my Vcore drops really low from about 1.10 to 1.28. Thoughts? Is that normal?

Im useing a Seasonic 550 S12 Energy Plus for power.

DaveMan said:
It worked, my bios was 507 or somthing reallllllllly old. Installed xp, updated bios to 1004, shut down the pc cut the power to it and took out the crappy 1.8v 667 ram and put in my fancy 2.1v 800 ram and it booted right up.

One thing I noticed after installing asus probe is my Vcore drops really low from about 1.10 to 1.28. Thoughts? Is that normal?

Im useing a Seasonic 550 S12 Energy Plus for power.

Asus Probe seems to think all 965 chipsets run at 1.22v

Mykex said:
It's dead... never came out of the checksum loop of doom then stopped trying to post altogether. I cant even get a warning beep out of it with everything removed from the board.

Unfortunately I guess all I had to do was strip the PCI and USB stuff and it should have posted... someone reported that worked on another forum.

Update, I got a good deal on another "vanilla" at a CompUSA closing out near me, I said WTF and gave it a shot. I did almost exactly what I did the first time, windows flash to the latest bios and NO BOOT.

This time I was however armed with the knowledge that removing all would instigate a boot before the checksum of doom corrupted the bios past usefulness. It worked like a charm... I dont know how this relates to other P965s but JIC I figured I would toss it out there.

Back