• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman WB2 Gold this bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MatteB

Got a 6600 at 1.58V (3.8 GHz) on water. Core-temps are like 60 idle, up to 80 under load (Prime95).

Flow and fan-speeds on rad don't seem to matter and the block is really cool, so i thought it was the notoriusly uneven IHS that was the problem. Lapped it. No differance.

Is it the WB2 Gold block thats just not up to it? should i get it lapped too? or just give up and get a better block?

1.58 is higher on the vcore than i personally would feel safe running on water. I would top out at about 1.5 - 1.52ish. It could be the rest of the set up as well though.

~jtjuska

2x120 Black Ice Rad, MCP655, only CPU in loop atm.

And yea, maybe 1.58V just is too high.

MatteB said:
Is it the WB2 Gold block thats just not up to it?
That's not one of the best performing blocks......the tubing size is...well...cute.

billb said:
That's not one of the best performing blocks......the tubing size is...well...cute.

3/8" tubing. You can replace the barbs, but it's not worth it. I'd have to recommend going with another block.

However, the Zalman block is very heavy. May make a good weapon.

aaronjb said:
3/8" tubing. You can replace the barbs, but it's not worth it. I'd have to recommend going with another block.

However, the Zalman block is very heavy. May make a good weapon.

Barbs already replaced. Good weapon. Understood. I put it in a sock and keep it handy when walking through dangerous neighberhood :rolleyes:

It worked for David... :D

In all honesty, the block *should* be better... but it apparently isn't. My advise would be to at least replace it with a DTek White Water. It's a good performing block that can be had for about $30 with a Universal adapter plate installed or a ridiculous $15 if you want to make your own adapter plate (not hard).

Besides that you could also go for an Apogee GT or DTek Fusion.

MatteB said:
Barbs already replaced. Good weapon. Understood. I put it in a sock and keep it handy when walking through dangerous neighberhood :rolleyes:

I used this Zalman block for awhile, with a BIX II and a MCW655 pump and 1/2" Tygon. After replacing the block with a Storm, my idle temps dropped a few degrees, and my load temps dropped significantly.

Back