• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5b Deluxe WiFi - Can you remove the WiFi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flyboy

Registered
Is it recommended to get the WiFi edition of the P5b Deluxe or no?

Anyone have any comments on how well it works?

Is the little wire and antenna a pain, or would it be better getting a special WiFi PCI card with a rubber antenna that can attach directly to the back of the board?

Is it possible to remove the WiFi from the P5B Deluxe/WiFi mobo and maybe upgrade it in the future?

I haven't bought this board yet. Just in case they come out with a board that supports 802.11n - it would be nice to know if I could take out the on-board WiFi board and replace it with a different one. Just a thought.

Sorry - lots of questions!

If you Need 802.11N and a P5B-D then get the one without the WiFi and get an N card. If you are going to use the 802.11G that comes with the WiFi now then get it. You can disable it later when you upgrade your network and install a PCI 802.11N cand.

Just grab the non wifi version, but yes, it is removable ! That Wifi card just sits there on 2 USB ports and also it can be disabled through bios too.

Is the little wire and antenna a pain, or would it be better getting a special WiFi PCI card with a rubber antenna that can attach directly to the back of the board?

Personally, I find it usefull since that piece of antenna's base has a magnet at the base, so you stick it on metallic surface and I just stick it right at my whiteboard which is closed to my rig. :) Won't work on aluminium case though.

I have the P5W - the Wi-Fi just crapped out on me, after really working right since I got it. Like mentioned above, its just a little riser card the plugs into a USB port - but on the P5W you'll have to remove the motherboard in order to take it out (it screws to the PCB from the bottom).

The Antenna is really pretty cool, and not a hassle at all. Im actually glad Ive got the antenna, because Ill use it with a real wi-fi card once I take that POS out of there:)

Back