• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this oxidation? How can I clean it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesavery22

4979geu.jpg

2z51w06.jpg

Just got a Storm off the wanted ads. No clue what was put in this loop. There was a residue on the delrin but it wiped right off. Rubbing alcohol removed most of it around the flat part. But Q-tips soaked in alcohol do nothing in the cups, where Im sure its most important to keep clean... Its hard to see but the entirety of each cup is covered in that black stuff. Where it wont come off the flat part any more really feels like anodizing :confused:

Holy abused Storm batman :(

this was my block and I have no idea why the block looks like that. The only thing I had in the loop was distilled water and a few drops of iodine. I had this connected to a MCP655 pump and a Thermochill PA120.3... that's it.

I had this running for about 2 months before I took everything off. I had everything sitting around for about 2-3 months unsed, could this have caused the problem?

I was going to recommend Tarnx but I wasn't certain if it could remove stuff like that.

Whatever it is, I don't think it will actually hinder performance.

jamesavery22 said:
Where can I get Tarnx? Drug store?

Drug stores, hardware stores, CVS, Rite-Aid. Once you use it, be sure to wash the block in soapy water, then rinse off, wipe off dry then let air dry. You'll be golden.

Tyreal said:
Whatever it is, I don't think it will actually hinder performance.
I doubt it would, but I think he is more concerned about it spreading to other components in the loop.

lithker said:
a toothbrush and ketchup worked for me if u dont have vinegar

Yes...I can confirm ketchup will work great. The acids in Ketchup shine/clean brass/copper very well.

bump for an update.

Finally cleaned up my block. Whatever that stuff was it didn't stain the copper, it just laminated it. Almost like it was a glue :confused: Definitely not dried iodine. I got some tarn-x which helped clean it. Was more elbow grease work than anything. Got it as close to new as possible.

Back