• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i chipset for non-SLI? Anyone doing this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woca

well, people have really been arguing against SLI and some for. I honestly don't know if I'm gonna go for it later, might take cash from bigger monitor and another card to just get newer one.

I was still considering the 680i chipset for its overclocking ability

so does anyone use a 680i just for there mobo and not use SLI

also say i wanted to play supreme commander on the highest settings

would i be able to do that with 1 8800 gtx,e6600, 2gb ram (800), and an asus p5w-dh

Last edited:
I would think that if you aren't planning on SLI you would be better off going with an Intel Chipset with the ICH8R or ICH7R Southbridge. Depending on your CPU, you can choose a P965 (Better for E6300/E6400) OR 975X (for E6600/E6700)

The reasoning behind that is that the P965 chipset generally does a higher FSB (which is better for overclocking the E6300/E6400's with their lower Multi's).

Last edited:
Right, if you aren't considering SLI, then avoid the 680i. Do a search and see how many people are having trouble overclocking this chipset.

so say i wanted to play supreme commander on the highest settings

would i be able to do that with 1 8800 gtx,e6600, 2gb ram (800), and an asus p5w-dh

also, the abit in9 32x-max has been getting good reviews and it just came out

Well, since there's not too much that you can get that's better, I'd say you'll HAVE to be fine with it :)

Just OC as much as you can and I'm sure you'll be just fine. I'm not real familiar with the game, but from googling for recommended system requirements, it seems like it should be more than enough.

At what resolution does your display run?

right now im out 1152 by 864

well if you didnt get a lot of stuff for supreme commander, then waht about a game thats a graphic power house

im guessing im good to go for now, hopefully

Back