• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going for 2Gb to 3Gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acid135690

Registered
Currently running 2Gb of Mushkin non-Dual channel PC-3200. I've got a little bit of extra cash on me and I was wondering if I should go for another 2Gb of Dual Channel Corsair RAM or if I should just upgrade to a full 3 if not 4 Gb of value ram.

My machine is strictly gaming. Mostly used for BF2, WoW, IL2: 1946, sometimes BF:2142.

So, 2Gb of Dual Channel or 4Gb of Value RAM?

save the money, do a complete system upgrade when you can afford it.

doing piecmeal upgrades like that for a while is fine, but it appears your computer is old enough to warrant a complete overhaul once you have the money to do so. i doubt you'd see a huge upgrade just by tossing more memory into it.

just my $0.02

If you are on Windows XP it doesn't even read more then 3.25GB anyways. I say keep the money, the increase in performance will be minimal.

Thanks for the input guys. I took out $350.00 today to go to Best Buy, and when I got there I realized, it just aint worth the minimal performance increase for the cost. I've got a bit over $1,000 saved for a new system.

I'm not looking for anything Top of the line per say, just something that I can run BF2/2142 on High settings and CoD2 on Direct X 9 and not have horrible FPS.

$1000 will easily build a rig that will run those games at max settings. Just look at the million "help be build a rig" threads to get ideas. I just put together a complete system w/out monitor for $600 for a buddy that plays BF2 fine at high settings.

Back