• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am I missing something here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woutertal

Hi all, I am considering an upgrade from rig in sig to an E6600 or E7600 rig. I am consodering the AW9D-max mobo. However, I came across this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=478943&highlight=4ghz+club

where the top 12 only mentions 1 abit board and all the rest are Assus P5 boards.

My URGENT questions is: did you guys not bother to post on this thread, or do the Assus boards OC better???

:beer: OR :bang head ??????????????

Last edited:
Lots more people running Asus than Abit, so the odds are skewed. This is probably because Asus was released long before the AW9D. At least 5 of those top 12 in that thread are using phase change cooling and 2 are using dry ice.

There are several world class overclockers using the AW9D, like Hipro for one (he belongs to the 5 gig club). The AW9D holds something like 2nd and 3rd place for Super Pi too.

I got close to the 4 gig club (see screen shot). I keep threatening to set up my rig out on the front porch (outside temps are in the teens right now).

E6600+MAX+CPU.JPG

Makes Deanzo cry :cry: that xTrEmEoVrClOcKr hasnt updated post 1 in his thread.
Im post 111, you will all so find Vento1 and ghosty1234 on the last 3 pages.

ghosty1234 has one hell of a cpu/board combo, his E6600 and AW9D Max did 4022mhz with only 1.52volts and 4140mhz with 1.65volts and he's only on air :drool:

Ps Come on BB you know you want in :)

while abit was late to the game with the aw9d-max board it is one solid ocer. IMO its much better then the equal from asus, in ocing.

dont forget to get the lastest bios from abit, has the 1333fsb strap for higher FSB's.

Guess I just needed a nudge to get me motivated. I reinstalled the OTES heatpipe chipset cooler with AS5 (and lowered the house thermostat a little).

E6600-4000-CPUZ.jpg

Well, it was not stable at all. Barely got the screenshot. It was just a max suicide run to get into the 4 gig club. I can benchmark at 3.8 gig though (14 seconds in Super Pi 1M).

I haven't built many systems, maybe 30, but I always used Abit boards if I was the one ordering the parts and never had a bad experience with them aside from some minor sound issues on the IS7 I'm using now.

This time around I went with the P5B Deluxe as recommended by people here. It's on a truck in Des Moines right now waiting to be delivered tomorrow so by next weekend I'll be feeling it out.

I would find it hard to believe that an Abit board wouldn't be on par with boards like it for any given chipset/socket. After prices come down a bit later this year I'll end up building another conroe for somebody somewhere for sure and if I can talk them into an Abit board it'll give me a firsthand comparison. Definately a quality product.

Nice clocks batboy and welcome to the 4ghz club, I am getting some G skill pc8000 ram end of next week this board does'nt like my ocz platinum. 415 mhz is the max i have achieved at the moment.

Thanks for all the response guys. I'm going to stick to the AWD9Max. You convinced me.:beer:

Core 2 Duo E6600 L630A767 Retail @ 4.140 MHz / Vc 1,650 / FSB 460 / 2x1024MB G.Skill 6400 HZ @ 4,4,4,12 D9-GMH / Air-Cooled - Thermalright Ultra 120 with 120mm 97 cfm Fan / Abit AW9D-Max 975X Chipset, Default-Abit-Otes-Cooling / Seasonic M12-700

There are just 2 Boards i would recommend to you for performance/overclocking, based on the 975X Chip:

Abit AW9D-MAX
Asus P5W64 WS Professional

I dont prefer Asus, cause of their RAM service, and their AMI Bios.

I would stick with that board. When i was looking for mother boards i ready to buy a asus but i ended up buying the dfi infinity 975x and love it and it's capable of getting a e6600 to 4ghz.Ya so just because alot of people don't talk about it or have it doesn't mean it's not good.:)

Back