• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need DDR2 Advice for MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Towjumper82

Registered
I'm looking to getting new RAM for my AW9D-MAX, I'm currently running G.Skill.
My top 3 choices are as follows:

All are 6400 series
1. Kingston HyperX
2. Patriot Extreme
3. CORSAIR XMS2

My question is, any of my choices not work well w/ AW9D?
If anyone has a better suggestions on which RAM will go better w/ this mobo pls let me know.

Hi Tow,

I won't have my AW9D-Max fired up for the first time until Tuesday, but I did purchase G. Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). This Ram is not highly overclockable with voltage ranges of 1.8v-2.0v. For now, I'm just hoping the mobo will work with it so I won't have to find another brand. G. Skill also makes this version of ram (PC2-6400) that can handle higher voltage, (2.0v-2.2v), which may be a better bet for you if you're going to push OCing to a higher level than I am. I spent about $185.00 for it, and the higher voltage version is about $289.00 for 2GB. Newegg seems to have the best price for either.

Richie

Last edited:
G. Skill works fine with the Abit AW9D as will just about any of the RAM with D9 chips. About the only one I've heard problems with is OCZ, but I think the newer BIOS updates have fixed those issues.

Richie, the RAM you are getting actually overclocks pretty well, maybe not as good as the D9 stuff, but you'll be fine.

This is what Richie is getting (excellent price right now for CAS 4 RAM):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231087

If you want G. Skill with D9 RAM (better for E6300/E6400), then get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

Last edited:
Hi there Batboy,

The Ram version you showed for me was not correct. What I did purchase is shown from the link below. Due to going over my budget, I was forced to go with Ram that isn't great for OCing. The type of G. Skill Ram I had to buy only has a voltage range of 1.8v-2.0v. If I find it's a problem for me, I'll purchase the higher performance G. Skill later this year. This is why I've been a bit concerned about the computer even POSTing.

From what I can tell from my research, the E6600 2.4GHz and the E6700 2.66GHz are exactly the same processor, only the E6700 has a one step higher multiplier. I'm also assuming that the Intel heat sink and fan that come with them are also exactly the same. If I'm correct, it was my intension to slighly over clock my E6600 to match the performance of the E6700. Hopefully the lower end Ram will allow me to do this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231098

Richie

Last edited:
Ok Richie, no problem. I thought you bought the other. The RAM you listed would be able to O/C your system up to 400 FSB or 3.6 gig, no problem. You just have to use more relaxed timings is all.

Back