• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC133 really DOES make a difference!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
I've been a moderate overclocker for a long while because up until today, I've been stuck with PC100.

Mind you, it wasn't bad PC100, it was Infineon 2-2-2 (2 x 128MB), but still, it was PC100.

I wasn't expecting too much when I knew I wanted to upgrade to PC133, but I did know I'd have some gain. I was trying to justify purchasing new RAM for minimal performance increase.

Well, I was wrong. PC133 makes quite a difference in overall performance, as can be seen in my 3D Mark 2000 score of 5742 (with the rig below).

Before I bought new RAM, I couldn't even complete 3DMark 2000 or 3DMark 2001. After I upgraded (to Crucial), but before I changed the bus to 133 from 100, I was getting ~4700 3DMarks in 3DMark 2001.

Both before and after the upgrade, with or without overclocking, I couldn't and still can't install 3DMark 2001, or I'm sure my results would have the saem percentage of gain.

Overclocking isn't really any better, and I think it's because I'm still using an Athlon Classic (0.25µm architecture), but stability is far superior with this new RAM. Before, I couldn't overclock at ALL without spontanious restarts or halts, so I'd just leave it at 950MHz (CPU default). Now I can overclock to my hearts content, though I choose not to.

So, thanks, Crucial! Another satisfied customer!

Back