• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Correcting the timings on (or OC'ing) my RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaGa11aZ

Registered
About a year ago, I bought a 1G stick of Corsair XMS RAM (CMX1024-3200C2) with settings of 2-3-3-6. Just a couple of days ago, I came across a really nifty program called CPU-Z, which tells me some very detailed information about my PC. I just now found that the settings from my RAM analysis are not consistent with the standardization of my RAM.

Below are two screenshots of my CPU-Z analysis.

Memory.jpg
SPD.jpg

Since my RAM settings in BIOS are set to AUTO, should I switch it to manual and adjust to the correct settings (assuming mine are wrong)?

So are RAM settings as x1-x2-x3-x4 represented from 1: CAS# Latency; 2: RAS# to CAS#; 3: RAS# to Precharge; and 4: Cycle Time (Tras), respectively?

If so, then my settings are 3-3-3-8 when they should be 2-3-3-6. Am I correct?

Notice the Frequency difference between Timings and Timings Table.

I just wanted to make sure from the more experienced folk that the x-x-x-x standard is in the relative order that I listed with numbers so that I can accurately adjust my RAM.

Everytime I adjust the settings, my OC'ed CPU goes back to the stock clock. Do I have to OC the exact same frequency in both my CPU and RAM for them to both OC?

One more thing's on my mind. What are the potentials for overclocking this stick, and how dangerous is messing with some of the other RAM settings (visible in the CPU-Z pics) in BIOS?

Last edited:
Back