• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally popped the top!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gunlance

I finally removed the IHS from my opty 165. When I put everythign back together and laid in some fresh AS5 and put the APOGEE back on. THe temps were remarkably lower. The first time I ran orthos and core temp the temps were within 1'c of each other. Now tis back to being as much as 10 degrees off. Core 0 being the hot core and core 1 being the cold core. On load I am getting roughly 39 on core 0 and 31 on core 1. Any ideas on why core 0 could be so high? I've even tried running a stress test and messing with the mounting screws.

Have any suggestions on what else I could try to even out the temps?

Gunlance said:
I finally removed the IHS from my opty 165. When I put everythign back together and laid in some fresh AS5 and put the APOGEE back on. THe temps were remarkably lower. The first time I ran orthos and core temp the temps were within 1'c of each other. Now tis back to being as much as 10 degrees off. Core 0 being the hot core and core 1 being the cold core. On load I am getting roughly 39 on core 0 and 31 on core 1. Any ideas on why core 0 could be so high? I've even tried running a stress test and messing with the mounting screws.

Have any suggestions on what else I could try to even out the temps?

On any dual/quad core processor, the temps will have some type of variance temperature wise, mines around 4-5c. I believe that my core 0 is also my hot one...not sure.

Or since you have lowered the WB mounting height, your WB is now angled off the high side of the socket and you do not have an even mount. When I mounted my Apogee to my 170, I had to sand down the high side by about 1/16" to get a flat uniform mount!

Try to slide a small piece of paper around and underneath your WB. You should not feel any resistance until you hit the actual core!

Travis Dawes said:
Or since you have lowered the WB mounting height, your WB is now angled off the high side of the socket and you do not have an even mount. When I mounted my Apogee to my 170, I had to sand down the high side by about 1/16" to get a flat uniform mount!

Try to slide a small piece of paper around and underneath your WB. You should not feel any resistance until you hit the actual core!

Thaks for the replys. I'll give the paper thing a shot. After 2 days of messing around, and remounting a dozen or so times. I think its just due to the core variances. Thought it would be better than witht he IHS but oh well. I got to 3 ghz stable so I can't be happier.

Finally!

Gunlance said:
Thaks for the replys. I'll give the paper thing a shot. After 2 days of messing around, and remounting a dozen or so times. I think its just due to the core variances. Thought it would be better than witht he IHS but oh well. I got to 3 ghz stable so I can't be happier.

Finally!

Awesome clocks man!

Back