• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello everyone!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quasimojo

Registered
I've been building PC's for myself and others for many years now, but, while the prospects of OC'ing have always intrigued me, I've always opted for stability and compatability above all else and left it at that. After all, a man can only take so many calls form their brother in the middle of the night, screaming for help because their PC is overheating and failing to run for more than two minutes before seizing up or spontaneously rebooting - oh, and nevermind that pile of dirty clothes that's draped over the top of it. Heck, I'd UC family members' PC's if anything. :p

That said, I've always harbored a secret admiration for those who were able to squeeze every MHz of potential out of their systems. The idea of trying different memory timings, drive storage subsystems or even heatsink thermal pastes in the hopes of pushing that benchmark score ever higher, just seems to offer up a whole new world of opportunities for my own PC enthusiasm.

That said, a little bit about myself: I'm a 40-year-old with a wife (another factor in my very limited forays into the world of OC'ing, to be sure ;), kids and a dog. My employer tells me I'm a Computer Systems Analyst by trade, but what that really seems to mean is that I'm a Windows applications developer/database administrator/desktop and help desk technician *in addition to* being an enterprise system(s) administrator.

I am perpetually intrigued by Linux as well. Over the years I have managed to set up a few different Linux game servers/server managers for my own use and that of my friends. These included a Neverwinter Nights world server and Unreal game server with the web-based server manager applet. All that may look cool, but I still consider myself quite the Linux n00b - I am just able to follow directions pretty well. :p

These days I play mostly MMORPG's. I played Everquest for several years, as well as smaller stints in SWG, WoW, EQ2 and DDO. I was a member of a gaming clan for a couple of years (Clan =UniSol=, alias: Tricky) and participated heavily in BF1942, BFV and, to a lesser extent, BF2 matches.

My current gaming rig is as follows:

Shuttle SB75G2 Black
P4/3.0c
1-GB (2x512MB) Corsair Value Select PC3200 DDR400
ATI Radeon AIW X800XT 256MB GDDR3
WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM HDD 8MB cache
Creative Audigy 2 value
Pioneer 16x16 DL/DD DVD R/RW Black
NEC MultiSync FE991sb 19" CRT

I'm planning to make the switch to Core 2 Duo in the very near future, so I'll be taking advantage of all the valuable insights handed out like candy in these forums. While I will certainly try to do my due diligence with the search button, be prepared for the occasional dumb question as I get up to speed here.

Well, enough rambling. Thanks in advance to all those whose efforts will, I'm certain, prove extremely helpful in getting me ever closer to that bleeding edge of PC performance. :)

Last edited:
:welcome: !!

Youl enjoy it here, everyone is friendly and helpful.

As far as your foray into the world of OC'ing goes I imagine its probably going to expand a bit now you've found us.

Have fun! :beer:

Back