• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p5b pcie bandwidth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smokin9

Registered
Need alittle help, for some reason my board keeps changing my pcie freq from 16x down to 1x, I have no idea why. I wont change anything in the bios concering that but when I check cpu-z it shows it only running at 1x.

I dont even know where there is a setting for that, only way Ive gotten it to go back is to load defaults in bios and resetting my bios overclocking settings. Its really strange, sometimes I would just reboot and notice it has switch down. Anyone know where the setting is for this, and why it keeps lowering itself down??

untitled9.jpg

wow, thanks. Good thing im not the only one having this problem. I can def tell the difference though playin a game. Everything turns out very laggy when alot of action begins on the screen. Seems like its a bug, hopefully it gets fixed soon. I even updated to the latest bios on the asus site, 1004 and its still happening.

toddm27 said:
well I've tried all the mentioned solutions for getting back to 16x and none seemed to work for me, then I cleared cmos and started fresh, noticed a peg link mode, changed from normal to fast, works every time, if I move it back to normal, my pci-e drops, back to fast and it's up
try this out see if it works, seems to have fixed my 1x issue

Im using 1004, i was using 804 before and still had that problem. Where is that peg link mode? In the bios? Now that i notice when I was resetting my bios settings I was also doing a cold boot so maybe that's all was needed to reset it back to 16x. Its not to bad, but annoying sometimes when you notice slow down in game that shouldnt be showing any, and realizing what it is.

It's very strange that there has been no definitive answer to the PCIe x1 problem, but searching ASUS's forums I found this link.

Bonjour...saozon

Je ne parle pas français..however, your english seems quite good, so I'll try.

This has been trouble for many when overclocking, and seems to be more common with the radeon cards. I have read of a solution, but it does not seem to work for everyone. Some people report success in getting PCI-E to stay @16x by setting:

PCE-E –101 or 105, motherboard voltages off auto and set to manual default voltage or if high overclock whatever you think is safe, disable CGI and set PEG Link to normal, set south bridge to 2x...Je sais bizzarre, eh...

Bonne chance
And for the person this was posted to it worked flawlessly.

Another possible solution from here. :(Warning this is an old one as the poster refers to his bios version as 701.)

southbridge setting,

change to x4 fast, that disables x1

I get my board on Monday, so I hope that :

1. My Mobo is not from the old batch, thus having a memory issue if I stick my 2.1v Ballistix RAM in.

2. My PCI-e works at 16x all the time.

3. I can overclock to 400mhz without encountering stability issues due to the NB strapping problem.

Well, hope that helps.

Tata

Back