• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need very cheap DDR1 ram that can boot at under 2.6 vdimm - suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

My DFI SLI-DR has suddenly deided to fall victim to the dreaded "cold boot" bug, and when measuring my vdimm voltage upon powering on with a multimeter, it's always at 2.575 volts. Too low for my BH5 to work, as well as a stick of CAS2.5 Infineon stuff I found in an old rig in the closet.

Does anybody know what brand of RAM I could pick up that would work at this low of a voltage? I need to have on lying around so I can get into my bios, raise the voltage back, and then swap back out the ram without actually powering off the PSU.

Such a pain ... no idea why after almost two years it would decide to start acting like this. I put a heatsink on top of my PWMIC chip on my DFI board, but I took it back off and cleaned the area with alcohol, thinking something might have gunked up a resistor somehow and changed a voltage. Didn't really think that was the problem, but it was a last ditch effort after all else had failed.

So ... cheap DDR ram that can run okay between 2.5 and 2.6 volts - ideas?

Well, foo. I grabbed some Corsair Value Select sticks out of my rig at work, which Newegg says are rated for 2.5v, and it's still not detecting the ram. =(

PerlAddict said:
Well, foo. I grabbed some Corsair Value Select sticks out of my rig at work, which Newegg says are rated for 2.5v, and it's still not detecting the ram. =(

Bummer :(

Hopefully your other thread gets some answers.

Well, still no luck as of yet, but apparently the DFI and Corsair Value Select ram have a history of not playing together well. Figures. So I still can't rule out a typical cold boot bug as the problem.

I'm just gonna have to suck it up and buy a stick of non-corsair 2.5v ram if I want to be absolutely sure about this thing. Worse comes to worse I'll just turn around and resell it here on the classies for $10 or something.

PerlAddict said:
Well, still no luck as of yet, but apparently the DFI and Corsair Value Select ram have a history of not playing together well. Figures. So I still can't rule out a typical cold boot bug as the problem.

I'm just gonna have to suck it up and buy a stick of non-corsair 2.5v ram if I want to be absolutely sure about this thing. Worse comes to worse I'll just turn around and resell it here on the classies for $10 or something.

Any chance you can just RMA the board?

I don't know. I'm going to contact DFI about it. In the meantime, I've bought an Ultra-D off a guy in the classifieds here for $50, so at least that ought to get me up and running again.

Did you try using the valueselect in the orange slots? My SLI-DR expert refused to work with my valueselect until I moved them to the orange slots (I think they are less demanding or something for timings).

Even now though, I cannot get my ram higher than 210mhz or so and I HAVE TO run at 3 cas or the DFI flips out on me and doesn't boot again.

I had this stuff running at 220mhz with 2.5 cas on my KV8 Pro and it ran great....never gave me any problems.

I'm stuck running around 2400/2450mhz with my 170 with the current divider to get it to boot. I guess 2.45ghz isn't "bad" but compared to what I *should* be able to get thats horrible.

Back