• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trickle chiller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(Clanger)(DOA)

WT Uberclox0r
I had this idea about a trickle chiller..... I dont know if it would work or if it would be practical.. I dont really care if it not practical... Would it work?

Ok here goes. Basically a rad that water is pumped above and showered through to a res as the bottom. It would be a self contained unit.
Like this
coolingidea.jpg

comments ideas??

I do not think it would work because you are not transferring the heat generated out of the water. The water temp will slowly rise due to the fact that their is no exhaust of the heat.

I have read on these forums a lot about how the basic goal is to transfer the heat from one location to another using the most efficient solution. That is how you get low stable temps. So just by cycling the water back onto itself through a warm radiator would not do the trick.

Everette said:
I do not think it would work because you are not transferring the heat generated out of the water. The water temp will slowly rise due to the fact that their is no exhaust of the heat.

I have read on these forums a lot about how the basic goal is to transfer the heat from one location to another using the most efficient solution. That is how you get low stable temps. So just by cycling the water back onto itself through a warm radiator would not do the trick.

Yeah, you have to put the heat somewhere. It would work if you had say a chiller/pelt setup that cooled the water.

(Clanger)(DOA) said:
the heat is transfered through the air, there is a showering mistaction goin on. with air being drawn through the box.

Kk, your pic didn't show that part too well...

Misting down to the radiator...and you have air blowing through it, wouldn't that just blow the mist out of the box? Or am I just not seeing what your seeing? :confused:

EDIT: Plus, with the evaporation of the water, wouldn't that eventually saturate the room making it really damp?

thideras said:
Kk, your pic didn't show that part too well...

Misting down to the radiator...and you have air blowing through it, wouldn't that just blow the mist out of the box? Or am I just not seeing what your seeing? :confused:

EDIT: Plus, with the evaporation of the water, wouldn't that eventually saturate the room making it really damp?

heheh yeah i did leave some stuff out. The enviroment would be outdoor, garage type of thing, And no i didnt really add the air flow in the drawing. The amount of air being drawn out will not be enough to carry the water from the case. Just enough to circulate. They make these type of chillers for industrial purposes.

(Clanger)(DOA) said:
heheh yeah i did leave some stuff out. The enviroment would be outdoor, garage type of thing, And no i didnt really add the air flow in the drawing. The amount of air being drawn out will not be enough to carry the water from the case. Just enough to circulate. They make these type of chillers for industrial purposes.

Could you provide a picture of the industrial ones? I'm still confused on how this still has the capacity to remove that amount of heat...lol

EDIT: I can see it a bit, since people use radiator-less loops...like the reserator...etc

This is based on the same roof chiller technology that passed for AC units years ago. Yes, it should work fine - just like the "bong" systems used by some people. You might think about tilting the rad up, say 45°? That lets the water land on the fins where it'll do the most good instead of trying to drop straight through the rad. And you don't necessarily need a mister - water trickling down over the rad would work just as well. Either way you will need to ensure a good, constant air flow through the unit.

Be sure to design in a way to refill the water easily - you'll probably use a lot. Maybe one of those pet bowl spouts where you screw in an inverted 2-liter bottle and it automatically refills the bowl as the water level drops. Or you could get really fancy and use a 1/8" water line with some type of float valve ...

Last edited:
This is a 2 circuit design: one circuit is waterblock to rad, other is the outer cooling of the rad depicted here. Since each additional heat exchange has another decreese in cooling efficiency and this design is contained and closed even on 2nd circuit, why not skip the rad altogether? It's a waste and uncessesary expense.
The only way your outer circuit can give off its heat is by whatever it leaks out via its container so you need lots of water to prevent it from heating up. You could use use a single water circuit from block to your big reservoir. The size and amount of heat exchange would be increased.

If you have your reservoir big enough it would work. But it's pointless to do since it involves unneeded heat exchange for no real gain. Bong setups are open to the world. There it makes sense to prevent contamination of the waterblock by goo to go to 2 circuis. Since your outer system is closed to the world, this benefit doesn't apply.

klingens said:
why not skip the rad altogether? It's a waste and uncessesary expense.
Agreed. The purpose of an evaporative cooler is to forgoe the expense of a radiator. It might work, but probably not as well as a bong cooler by itself.

i was thinking of doing this or just takeing a rad and submerging it in chilled circulated water from a watercooler.....

BTW i like the two circuit design... :p

speed bump said:
Just build a bong theres no point to include your radiator in it as well.
I never did like the idea of an open air cooling system. No way I would want to clean the air with water then "filter" the water through a Storm. :eek:
(Clanger)(DOA) said:
BTW i like the two circuit design... :p
:thup:
(Clanger)(DOA) said:
i was thinking of doing this or just takeing a rad and submerging it in chilled circulated water from a watercooler.....
For THAT you've got no reason for a rad - just run tubing around the cooler of the watercooler and you're done. :) It's still a closed system that way. Search through the threads - someone has recently done this ...

Last edited:
QuietIce said:
I never did like the idea of an open air cooling system. No way I would want to clean the air with water then "filter" the water through a Storm. :eek:
:thup:
For THAT you've got no reason for a rad - just run tubing around the cooler of the watercooler and you're done. :) It's still a closed system that way. Search through the threads - someone has recently done this ...

Other than if you have a bunch of particles that tend to love water in your air theres no reason to worry. I ran a filter on mine that was good down to a couple of microns when I first built it but since then I really haven't seen the point since the filter never did get dirty.

Also your not cleaning the air with water, you are cool through evaporation and with an up stream airflow so while it is possible to get particulate matter in your loop a good fan filter should eliminate any air cleaning duties you are concerned your bong will perform.

I'm a bit lost.

So would Clanger's idea actually work?

Are you going to do a bong instead? Or Chilled WCing?

jcw122 said:
I'm a bit lost.

So would Clanger's idea actually work?

Are you going to do a bong instead? Or Chilled WCing?
His idea would work if there were air flow in the container that the rad goes into, the inclusion of the rad introduces another layer for the heat to be removed adding inefecency to the system.

It would work but I would put a filter on the air intake to help keep the water clean, a topoff system would help with maintance as well.

Back