• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DS3 won't boot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brickout

Hi all -

I just got finished building my first new system in a while, and of course it won't boot. It seems that the DS3 has a nasty reputation for being picky, and I'm afraid it bit me.

I'll outline the problems and welcome all of your insight.

System:
e4300
DS3 965G
2x1GB PQI turbo 4-4-4-12
evga 7800GT
Antec NeoHE 430

So, with both sticks of ram in, the system fails to recognize my USB keyboard 9 out of 10 times. When it does recognize it, the system hangs at POST, just after checking for drives. When it does not, it hangs at the mobo splash screen.

So, I took out the 7800gt knowing that the DS3 has had problems with nvidia cards.

Didn't change anything. Figured it's the ram.

With 1 stick of ram, it hangs immediately with scrambled screen. With the other, I can get into BIOS, everything is fine, I can even set the voltage on the ram to PQI's spec (DS3 defaults to 1.8v, PQI wants 2.0). It will make it to the memory check, hang and scramble.

So, it's not the 7800GT. I don't think it's the cpu or mobo directly, but probably incompatibility between mobo and ram. Does that sound right?

If the cpu was toast, would I be able to get into BIOS just fine? Same for the mobo?

I haven't tried changing the ram timings yet, so I'll make one last attempt with the laziest settings I can muster. thanks for your help.

Well, it seems that you are waiting with baited breath for the thrilling conclusion...

I conjectured that either the ram is faulty or just doesn't play nice with the DS3. I returned the PQi and got some Corsair that others have had good luck with. If anyone is interested, I'll post results. Otherwise I'll let this thread die.

brickout said:
With 1 stick of ram, it hangs immediately with scrambled screen. With the other, I can get into BIOS, everything is fine, I can even set the voltage on the ram to PQI's spec (DS3 defaults to 1.8v, PQI wants 2.0). It will make it to the memory check, hang and scramble.
I would have given it even more juice...
brickout said:
Well, it seems that you are waiting with baited breath for the thrilling conclusion...
I am looking at these for a DS3 ;)

Yeah, I tried 2.1v, but had the same problems.

That ram looks great except some of the reviews complain about stock stability and compatibility...Post results if you use it!

brickout said:
Yeah, I tried 2.1v, but had the same problems.

That ram looks great except some of the reviews complain about stock stability and compatibility...Post results if you use it!
Crucial says they work - I would like to see those reviews :(

I bought the next step up from those, the Ballistix ddr2 1000 set, listed here, a few months back when they were on sale for $285, and have had amazing results with them. Running on an e6400 and DS3 rev 1.0, they run at 500mhz 4-4-4-12 easily with 2.2v (+0.4 in bios). Will do well over that at the listed 5-5-5-15 timings on newegg. (oh, and they booted up first time just fine at 1.8v).

Note: Strange that newegg has updated the pictures of the ballistix line with non-heatspreader images. Perhaps a fluke?

Last edited:
New ram fixed the problem. Got some Corsair XMS2, and up and running finally.

Using Crucial Ballistix DDR800 for 4 months with no problems ;)

Last edited:
Back