• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What reasons to choose each chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WJ

Registered
What reasons would i choose each chipset, i'm wondering between the 975x, p965 and the 680i. now i was giong for 680i because of sli. thing is my monitor is only 1680 x 1050 max and wiht fixed aspect scaling it woudl be like 1280 x 1024 max so i dont really think i would need to get 2 gts in the future anyway. now ive heard that the p965 overclocks good but ive also heard the 975x does good too which chipset would be good considering a e6600, ill only do minor overclocking like to 3.0-3.5 ghz at the MOST, i will also want to maybe run raid not sure still tho

well if you consider raid, intels maxtrix raid is nice from has been shown in the forums storage section.

680i can oc really well its just about learning the bugs/holes in some of the areas in the bios. once you get it setup though 680i offers 975 performance with 965 fsb clocks.

The i975X has the best performance, but they can sometimes be a little FSB limited. However, with an E6600, it's hard to beat an i975X. You'll also want an i975X if you plan to go Crossfire. Go with i965 if you want really high FSB (like with an E6300/E6400) and the 680i chipset if you want SLI.

hmm so i guess i could go for that intel bad axe 2 seems to be a good board. but one questionsstill remains will an 8800GTS be enough to play games (ie crysis) full settings for a monitor that only supports 1680 x 1050 (1280 x 1024 in 4.3 resolution) or should i perhaps spring for a GTX

well i was using it as an example, i wanted to know if this card would be able to in the future

Best bet for the most GFX when a future game comes out is to get a cheaper GFX that will do for now then pick the best card for the job when you buy the game.

Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103022
Then sell it an upgrade the GFX when the game comes out.

The differnce between two GFX's with the same GPU core is minimal compaired to new gen. GPU's that will be out as soon as June.

well i plan to sli for Bioshock but that might change just depends on money...im use to just getting a good midrang card then using it for a year. i did buy the Evga 7900kt ko, but when i read about buying a cheap gpu. to tie ya over for later to me 100 or less is cheap... on a side note though i read around march/april nv is releasing the 8600u/gt 8300gs/gt cards.
http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11954
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=4834

When I mean cheap enough to do you, Im talking enough performance to run current cames with the cherry settings ;) thats a $200 budget card.

greenmaji said:
When I mean cheap enough to do you, Im talking enough performance to run current cames with the cherry settings ;) thats a $200 budget card.
well 200 is considered cheap to some but not all.... just that if you were going to spend around 249. you might as well go slightly more for a 8800gts from foxconn at ewiz or was it zzf for 375.:attn:

MIR makes that card 200ish and you can get the foxxcon at the egg for 199

well i decided im going for an abit QuadGT, nice board with 965 chipset and it has the northbridge strap.

only thing left is to decide between the 8800gts or going to an 8800GTX any suggestions? i know resolution plays a high factor in it, and my max resolution is 1680x1050

what games as well? i dunno IMO the 8800gts looks like the best balance between price and what ya get. For me the GTS is the most i would spend for a GPU.

since you cant sli on p965 i would have to conclude that if the money is there that you should go with the GTX. the more "units" in the card will play a major role down the road with more demanding games at that res.

WJ said:
well i decided im going for an abit QuadGT, nice board with 965 chipset and it has the northbridge strap.

only thing left is to decide between the 8800gts or going to an 8800GTX any suggestions? i know resolution plays a high factor in it, and my max resolution is 1680x1050

I just made the same choice...sold my P5W DH for the quadgt! Too bad I was an idiot and shipped the P5W DH with my heatsink mounts on it still and now I have no way to mount my heatsink! Anyway, good choice on the board. It brings a smile to my face to be able to buy a good abit board that I'm confident in. My last one was an AI7 :beer:

-Collin-

Back