• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermochill PA Series Barbs & Teflon Tape?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alien1099

I just got my used Thermochill PA 120.3 radiator in the mail yesterday from another member (Thegreek). I had been planning on using my existing perfect seal barbs in my new radiator until I read that the Thermochill uses different threads. Good thing I found this out before I tore apart my computer. :p Anyway, it did come with some stock plastic thermochill barbs and they have some white stuff in the threads. I’m assuming this is remnants of some Teflon tape since the Thermochill barbs don’t use O-Rings. Are the Thermochill barbs pretty good and I should just go buy some Teflon tape for when I do my install or would I be better off ordering some chromed and o-ringed barbs for the PA series from Cooltechnica?

I should be able to pickup Teflon tape at any Home Depot or hardware store, correct? I've also got silicone sealant at the house that I could use just to be sure, but this shouldn't be necessary should it?

Use of teflon tape with the barbs that thermochill radiator came with will be enough.

Those plastic barbs suck. For as much money as the ThermoChill radiators cost, you would think that they would come with metal barbs. The plastic barbs began leaking on me within a few hours of leak testing. Defiantly buy those chrome barbs with the o-rings.

evilrad said:
Those plastic barbs suck. For as much money as the ThermoChill radiators cost, you would think that they would come with metal barbs. The plastic barbs began leaking on me within a few hours of leak testing. Defiantly buy those chrome barbs with the o-rings.

providing you install them in the right way they dont leak.

Thermochill rads do use a 3/8th thread, and i always wrap about a 6" piece of PTFE tape around them, making sure i do so in the right direction.
you need to wrap the tape clockwise around the thread as you are looking at it.
this is so that when you screw the barb in, the direction you urn it doesnt unerap the tape ( gawd this is so hard to explain )

hope that helps

Rick

[O-CuK]Marci said:
S'up to the resellers what barbs they provide. We don't sell them with barbs included...

Then that's even worse! I revise my quote then: "For as much money as the ThermoChill radiators cost, you would think that they would come with DECENT barbs from the factory!" I paid about $45 for a BlackIce GTS radiator and it came with metal barbs. I pay $130 for a ThermoChill and it either comes without barbs (making it useless), are with plastic barbs that suck. The metal radiator actually cut the plastic threads off the barbs. And NO, I did not cross thread them in. Only thing I can guess is that I was sent the wrong size barbs. This would not have been a problem if ThermoChill provided the barbs themselves instead of relying on the resellers. Anyway, plastic barbs suck. Get the metal ones.

If you order directly from thermochill you get metal barbs with radiator. Also might be cheaper sometimes.

You shouldn't... you should get JUST the radiator... unless you also remember to add the barbs to your cart too... hence they're listed separately.

Then that's even worse! I revise my quote then: "For as much money as the ThermoChill radiators cost, you would think that they would come with DECENT barbs from the factory!" I paid about $45 for a BlackIce GTS radiator and it came with metal barbs. I pay $130 for a ThermoChill and it either comes without barbs (making it useless), are with plastic barbs that suck. The metal radiator actually cut the plastic threads off the barbs. And NO, I did not cross thread them in. Only thing I can guess is that I was sent the wrong size barbs. This would not have been a problem if ThermoChill provided the barbs themselves instead of relying on the resellers.

Tough luck *shrug* The £1gbp profit we make on each rad when sold at trade pricing to US resellers (yes, we make naff all on trade sales as that was what was demanded of us to get the products low enough in cost for the US resellers to be able to sell them and make a profit) doesn't cover the cost of a pair of barbs, so if we put them in, we make a loss. The reseller you buy the rad from makes all the profit therefore, it's down to them to opt to shave off some of that profit and reinvest it in quality barbs, not us... or it's down to the customer to research and discover the fact that in 6 years we've NEVER included barbs as standard with the rads... it's ALWAYS been down to the customer to choose what barbs they want to use.

Last edited:
[O-CuK]Marci said:
You shouldn't... you should get JUST the radiator... unless you also remember to add the barbs to your cart too... hence they're listed separately.

Tough luck *shrug* The £1gbp profit we make on each rad when sold at trade pricing to US resellers (yes, we make naff all on trade sales as that was what was demanded of us to get the products low enough in cost for the US resellers to be able to sell them and make a profit) doesn't cover the cost of a pair of barbs, so if we put them in, we make a loss. The reseller you buy the rad from makes all the profit therefore, it's down to them to opt to shave off some of that profit and reinvest it in quality barbs, not us... or it's down to the customer to research and discover the fact that in 6 years we've NEVER included barbs as standard with the rads... it's ALWAYS been down to the customer to choose what barbs they want to use.

I'm pretty sure no brand of radiator sold here come with the barbs from the factory either. Every dealer either includes them or charges extra, but they use whatever type of barb they want. I think the above poster is forgetting that not everybody uses 1/2 tubing. Some people use 3/8. Anyway yeah it would get expensive and add up if both types were included with every radiator. My Storm block came with both types but they are of a cheaper plastic variety, though they work just fine. That sucks that to keep them from becoming too expensive over here that you can't hardly make a profit. I assume that it's due to import taxes, fees, and shipping. We do thank you though! I can't wait to try out this radiator this weekend.

Back