• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any flow problems with 3/8" to 1/4" tubing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NickCib01

Registered
I have two kits and a few parts from each one i love. One is 1/4" kit the other is a 3/8" kit. My question is this. Will it cuase any problems to hook them up with a 3/8" to 1/4" copper connector? will it cuase any problems what-so-ever? Gonna work on it tonight.

Why not just use the 3/8" you ask? Well i have a great 1/4" acrylic top cpu cooler i want to use as well as my cooler master kit. but i have 3/8" radiators...so please someone help!

The 1/4" tubing will be rather restrictive, of course, and you'll get some turbulence at any fitting, including your adapter, but yes, you can mix tubing sizes that way. I'd put the adapters close to the 1/4" barbs, but for short runs between 1/4" barbs, you're probably better off with just the 1/4" tubing.

How'd it turn out?

I ran 3/8" in my last setup, with one 1/4" part (a RAM cooler, unnecessary but cool looking) and had a 3/8"->1/4" adapter right before the RAM. Worked well and my temperatures stayed the same, I don't think you'll have a problem.
side-flash2.jpg

First off, I wouldn't recommend any acrylic topped CPU blocks. I have heard of too many of them eventually cracking.

Secondly, you can use a 1/4" CPU block, but a reduction like that is going to hurt your flow. Its not going to kill anything to do so, but you are not going to get the best performance out of it.

3/8" is okay, but 1/4" is right-out. You'd be better served by switching out the barbs, or simply doing without that component in your loop.
voigts said:
First off, I wouldn't recommend any acrylic topped CPU blocks. I have heard of too many of them eventually cracking.
Yes, a threaded acrylic top is not going to last more than 2 years if installed with the correct amount of pressure.

Back