• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S3 + Corsair XMS 2.1v = ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cradivonyk

I am putting a system together with the S3, E4300 and hopefully the Corsair XMS 6400. The CAS 4 ram is 2.1v and the CAS 5 is 1.9v. Will the CAS 4 be compatible? Or do I need to go with the CAS 5? Some of the reviews on newegg say to make sure the voltage of the ram is correct (~1.8v), but others say the higher voltages work... what to do, what to do...

My ocz ram wasnt supposed to work with my S3 mobo but in the end it did. I later upped the vdimm to 2.2 when i started overclocking.

So really what you need to do is speak to someone who used that ram with that board and see if he had any problems.

Personally I would go with the CL4 and if for whatever reason it doesnt boot then just boot to bios with a regular generice stick of ddr2 and then manually up the vdimm to 2.1. Shut down, replace the ram with the CL4 and 100% everything will be boot fine.

machdown said:
My ocz ram wasnt supposed to work with my S3 mobo but in the end it did. I later upped the vdimm to 2.2 when i started overclocking.

So really what you need to do is speak to someone who used that ram with that board and see if he had any problems.

Personally I would go with the CL4 and if for whatever reason it doesnt boot then just boot to bios with a regular generice stick of ddr2 and then manually up the vdimm to 2.1. Shut down, replace the ram with the CL4 and 100% everything will be boot fine.

What if I decided to go with the PC5400 (667) instead of the 6400? The ram is rated at 1.9v for the CAS 4 and I THINK it should be able to go to the FSB I would like of 300 (2.7GHz).

If you choose to go with the PC5400 (667) then you will 100% be able to achieve an FSB of 300 cuz the ram at default settings without overclock runs at 333.

You could easily bump up the fsb on that ram to 400mhz. Mind you, you would have to increase the vdimm up to 2.1 or 2.1 and loosen the timings to those of CL5 in order to get 400mhz.

IMO PC5400 667 4-4-4-12 1.9v is the same as PC6400 5-5-5-15 2.2v. Anyone else agree with me on this???

cradivonyk said:
I am putting a system together with the S3, E4300 and hopefully the Corsair XMS 6400. The CAS 4 ram is 2.1v and the CAS 5 is 1.9v. Will the CAS 4 be compatible? Or do I need to go with the CAS 5? Some of the reviews on newegg say to make sure the voltage of the ram is correct (~1.8v), but others say the higher voltages work... what to do, what to do...

I have the S3 rev 3.3, E4300 and a pair of XMS2 6400C4. When you first boot they will run at 1.8v at 5-5-5-18. I manually set mine to 4-4-3-8 at 2.1v. They are overclocked to 890 right now and have passed memtest for 10 hours. I'm pretty sure I can do 920 but I haven't ran memtest at 920 so I'm not 100% sure.

Back