• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New passive cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

datura3

I built this over the weekend after dismantling my old system. I had two large passive radiators sitting around and I wanted to make something external. The zalman passive systems just don't work that well so I built this :D

full.jpg

I included a reservoir that was in my old system and a matrix orbital. This system monitors the water temp, ambient temp, and the flow rate using an innovatek flow meter. Right now it's running at 6.8 L/min which is equivalent to 107 gal/hour. I need to add water blocks still, so I'm sure that will decrease.

IMG_1030.jpg

It's all the same components that I had in my old system, Passive Agressive.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=467839&highlight=passive+aggressive

I dismantled the system because it's a nightmare to fill since the water runs through everything.... so I just took all the parts and screwed them together. This configuration should be better for convection currents, so it should have better performance. All the parts are the same. The old system used 1.6v vcore and overclocked a Dothan 80% at 45C. Not sure how it will work with my new 6600.

Looks real nice, though I know for a fact that the reservoir immediately bumps up the price!

Luckily, I had all the parts except the aluminum stock. The aluminum was about $20. How much would it cost me to build this thing today? Too much, lol. I would never do it today, I would just machine custom radiators and a res for a 1/4 of the price.

Looks great with skills like that perhaps you should consider a small production run of something similar i no i would be interested.

Thanks :D I would love to produce them but I would have to machine them all custom out of aluminum. If I had the skills to anodize the aluminum I would consider it. I think corrosion would be an issue otherwise. I should have some performance numbers up soon. Right now I can tell you that I have the 6600 orthos stable at 3.65 and benchable at 4.1. I need to do some more tweaking, but I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

would you believe that I don't own one? Uh, I'll find something to put it next to and take a picture for ya. Maybe my monitor.

well from seeing the soundcard next to that water setup. i would guess to say the cooler setup is about the size of a MATX to Mid-ATX size.

Looks awsome man!

to tie it all together paint the non colored ALU to blue. you should be able to do it with automotive spary paint, just a thought!

mike, your right it is about the size of a mATX. The blue is a good idea, but the silver will match the rest of the case ;) I'm still building that part since it is much more complicated, but for now my system is just running on ontop of my power filter behind my monitor. The monitor is on an arm.

open-1.jpg

Ok, so the pump runs at 107 g/h with the radiators, flow meter, and res installed. That drops down to 83 g/h with the three water blocks- two moderately restrictive aquacools and one low restriction polarflo. Not too bad considering one quick connect drops it to 62 g/h! I obviously removed the quickconnects from this system since it kills performance. That flow meter is pretty handy for trouble shootin' :) I think I'm gonna adjust the pump a bit and see if that increase performance. I"m just worried it will make the pump audible. Right now you can't hear it since I have it suspended in there, but increasing the flow rate might change that. I'll let ya'll know.

I increased the pump to about 98-102 g/h. I switched the pump out of silent mode and put it on auto detect. The HPPS pump looks for the maximum operating point each time I start the pump up. Oddly it varies by about 4 g/h depending on the start up. In any case, this has dropped my temps by a few degrees and is still very quiet. I had to wrap the pump in dynamat antivibrational material to keep it from humming. I put some yate loon fans on it and that dropped it another 4-5 degree; however, they should be blowing from the bottom because that's the way convection currents flow. I may build a stage with fans blowing up, but right now I kinda like running it passively :)

Back