• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

next time I oc with an axe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mercuryhaze

Check my sig for specs. I know now my mobo is crap for overclocking, but I was able to oc from 3.2 to 3.9. It wasn't very stable. A week later I tried the same settings, nothing added to the system, and it wouldn't boot at all. My goal is at least 4.0 ghz, but I would be fine with stable 3.9. I'm having difficulties with instability when I try to go past 3.4.

I have a few questions for you experts.

I understand fsb for cpu, but i'm a little at odds with memory. What is the highest mhz my memory can go? Should I be able to push it more than 800 mhz? If I can, why am I having issues with stability, even at lower fsbs? I've tried changing the voltages with no luck. I've tried linked mode for fsb + mem and expert mode.

Do memory timings play a big role in an oc relating to stability? As in, if I don't have my latencies set right would that cause the pc to lock up or reboot? Currently I set mine to 4-4-4-12, and that seems to be stable without changing anything else. Can I go lower, say to 3-3-3?

Finally:

Would just getting a new mobo solve all these frustrations? I'm looking at the ASUS PN5-E SLI. I know asus is known for easy stable overclocks. Basically I'm wanting to know what my target range should be for a decent oc on AIR given my specs. I'm thinking 4.2 should be very easy to obtain right? My cpu cooler is an Artic cooler 7.

I'm completely open to suggestions, and don't complain that I bought a bad board for oc'ing!! I discovered this after I wanted to oc. I just want to know if this board is the source of my frustrations. If it is, I'm gonna cut her up real good...I mean the board..hehe...

well the 570/590 were suppose to be big of ocing but once asus came out with one. word hit that 570/590's were really bad at ocing so yea that is the source of your problems.

timings do play a role in stability of the system to a degree. its not as big o deal as you might think. from reading a few oc attemps at xs loosening timing on some of the ic's helps but in the area of about 10-15mhz increase in oc speed per same voltage.

any other suggestions?

I thought maybe I just sucked at overclocking....

Any other suggestions?

I feel I'm getting closer to hacking this mofo mobo and sending pieces back to elite group!

well i dont know what bios options ECS gives ya but from all the others they sell. they dont have oc options on some boards with others having just fsb adjustments. i know the asus boards oc somewhat well but not like people were expecting the 500 too when they caught word of it. the 6xxI is much better when ocing. i just suggest a new mobo if you want to oc and you might get lucky to oc the cpu to 4ghz but thats iffy. the cooler you are using is desent but with the high wattage of the "netburst" cpu. i dont think the cooler would be able to handle the higher heatload all that well when oced.

Update w/ results

I chose to get an ASUS P5N-E. I was worried about the multitude of problems from the forums as the asus site. It seemed there were issues with the bios updates as well as memory slot timings.

I got my board, swapped out the ECS and my computer turned on the first time. I had to repair my XP install to work with the new stuff, but otherwise, a successful install. I flashed to the latest bios. No problems. I have had absolutely no issues with this board.

Overclocking:

Did the auto overclock 15%. 3.67 ghz. Pretty stable but I didn't test it.

I changed to Manual. OC'd to 4.0. Temps are a little high, need more testing. Will post more detailed reports w/ screenshots.

BOTTOM LINE:

ECS motherboard was the issue. I got a good asus board, and oc to 4.0 was super easy in about 6 tries.

Now, should I hack up this ECS pos and take pics?

Nah, send it over here, I got better & bigger axe here and we called it the "Chop-chop" ! :D

Back