• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about o/c'ing ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spyn

I have been trying to o/c my ram for a while now, but this is my first time ever o/c'ing ram so I am not sure what I am doing wrong. My cpu is running at 7.5x133 and the FSB Rate (CPU:RAM:pCI) is at 4:4:1. My ram is running at CL2, Turbo setting. I haven't messed with the voltage since, as I said, I am new to this and not sure how far is safe.

When I changed the settings to 7x142 (should = 994, right?) I had a hell of a time getting the system to boot, and when it did it said 1065 and my usb wouldn't work, then windows locked up 5-10 seconds after it fully booted.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

=====System Specs=====

Enermax 431 watt PS
T-Bird 1gig(266 bus)
Abit KG7-RAID
OCZ 2400 DDR 256MB x2
(and other non-relevant stuff)

You're pushing your RAM too far out of spec w/ such agressive settings. Do you know what kind of RAM it is? Crucial, Micron, Corsair?

If you're running at a bus width that wide, I'd suggest lower RAM timings. Try 2-3-3 or 2-3-2 and see if its stable. You might also have to up the voltage on the processor to get it there, just make sure you have better cooling.

The settings I listed above are all default, aside from the CL 2 and the turbo setting, but the ram is rated CL2 and is OCZ
(from www.overclockerz.com ...not trying to advertise, just tell you who they are ) 2400 DDR performance ram which they rate at 300 MHz (150x2) oh and they use "hand picked hynix chips, 6 layer pcb".

Also, my BIOS doesn't have the 2-2-2, 2-3-3, etc settings. Instead it has: CAS Latency (2.0 or 2.5), Super Bypass Wait State (default 0, or 1), and then the Timing Setting (currently turbo) Auto/Normal/Fast/Turbo/Ultra(i think)/Manual ). When set on Manual, you can change many different ram timing settings:

PH Limit: 1, 4, 8, 16 cycle
Idle Limit: 0, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 48 cycle
Trc Timing Value: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 cycle
Trp Timing Value: 3, 2, 1, 4 cycle
Tras Timing Value: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 cycle
Tred Timing Value: 1, 2, 3, 4 cycle
Read/Wait State: 0 and 1 cycle
Write Data In to Delay: 1 and 2 cycle
Write Recovery Delay: 1, 2, 3 cycle
Active Bank A to Active Bank B Command Delay: 2 and 3 cycle

All I know about these settings are what it says in the manual...which might as well be nothing :p . All I can say is my computer is stable on Turbo, but not Ultra. It seems they put in a lot of options for tweaking ram for the people that know what this stuff means, which is kind of nice I guess....just wish I was one of those people :D .

=====System Specs=====

Enermax 431 watt PS
T-Bird 1gig(266 bus)
Abit KG7-RAID
OCZ 2400 DDR 256MB x2
(and other non-relevant stuff)

Back