• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting tired of Anti Vista articles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oroka Sempai

Im just gonna keep going till I find a article that speak good about Vista or Microsoft.

Nope
"ReadyBoost? A lot of people who decide this is for them aren't going to get a ready boost, but a ready drop."

Nope
"MS Wants To Get Paid For Vista So Much they want many of you to end up doing it twice."

Nope
"More Activation Woes Just what is MS trying to achieve with its dual-install Vista upgrades?"

Nope
Is Microsoft Trying to Shut Down the PC Gaming Market? Daniel posits an interesting theory on what's happening to gaming HERE.

Nope
"Good From Intel, Bad From MS We point out the likely date of the E4300 price cut, and point out a pretty big dis from MS."

Nope
"Vista, When, Not If We talk about, not if, but when, you ought to buy Vista, and have a big warning for those who might want to buy an OEM version (which have just come out for sale) right away."

Nope
"Digital OS Downloads MS will offer Vista/Office as digital downloads shortly. We tell you why it's a lousy deal, and how to push for a better one while saving the Earth."

Nope
"BadVista, Bad! There's a website dedicated to trashing Vista. Unfortunately, they have bad reasons for calling Vista bad."

Nope
"No More Windows? Some think Vista will be the "last" Windows. We believe it will be the last "one size fits all" Windows, and that will eventually mean more money for Windows and more often."

Nope
"Vista's DRM and You Jason Taylor tells us what is and isn't so."

Nope
"Open Letter to Microsoft Peter brings up an interesting point about Vista HERE."

Nope
"Vista Vision? Will Vista be a good thing for Apple? Nick's view HERE."

Nope
"Vista Licensing, Part II As promised, our simple (perhaps simplistic) proposal."

Nope
"Vista Licensing You know, it's not only dumb, but downright masochistic to essentially reward people for lying to you."

First page, not a single article saying anything overly good about Vista or Microsoft. I am really starting to think this site (overclockers.com) is anti microsoft, no matter what M$ does.

A quote of interest from one of those articles.

Nick - 10/22/06 said:
All in all, this presents a large opportunity for Apple. I'm personally not sure how I feel about this - as much as I hate Apple computers, I hate Microsoft just as much.

I read so much good about Vista, but it seems that only the bad gets posted. Yup Vista uses more resources, but my computer could barely handle XP when it first came out (400MHz K6-2, then 450MHz K6-3). All those security pop-ups people complain about, that is just helping lock down the OS so you dont screw it up by accident. Forced driver signing for 64bit people complain about, that will help stablize the OS due to crap drivers.

Vista is not XP, it has more 'bloat', needs more resources, eats up 10GB of your 500GB of HDD space, and makes sure you pay for the digital media you aquire.

Why not try a few articles about the good things Vista provides. A large portion of ocforums.com has, or shortly will be upgrading to Vista... can it really be as horrible as it is portrayed to be?

I don't think so. I for one love some of the new networking features of vista business. I was also very content with Vista RC1 Ultimate until the retail came out and now I run Business edition because I got it through my school and I can put off buying Ultimate a little. I totally agree with you that people should stop whining that it uses more resources as each new operating system will inherently use more resources to do the things we want them to do. If you want a stream-lined system thats fine but you will loose some functionality.
I also agree with that driver signing is a good thing, I personally have had too many bad drivers corrupt my XP installs (non-oc'd systems getting corrupted by drivers). I say bring on vista so that more support is there and less things for people to complain about :).

~jtjuska

Greetings!

Altough I agree that Vista has a lot of bad articles published, here and elsewhere, I am having a Millennium Edition feeling.
If it wasnt for DX10...
jtjuska said:
I don't think so. I for one love some of the new networking features of vista business.
I read a lot of articles and watched the Channel9 video, was impressed, but it seems the performance isnt there:
http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917&p=9

The change from XP to Vista is a different deal then simply going from ME to XP. The technology expanded much more rapidly from ME to now than from XP to Vista. In other words, it will take longer for us to swallow the losses caused by Vista than it was to forget the loss of CPU Cycles/RAM from XP.

I don't look at it from a performance standpoint because frankly everything flies on vista (at least with my machine, that includes my Pentium M lappy). I know that the networking in vista is much more secure than XP's networking in my experiences. I have read a lot of the articles and I don't see why people worry so much about it. I gave it a shot and if it was enough for me to notice then I wouldn't be on it, but since its not that noticeable of a difference I just don't worry about it.

~jtjuska

I think that there is alot of negative articles about vista because there are alot of negative things about it. Frankly, I think they should keep them coming. If there really is something bad about vista, I think we should explore why its like that. Microsoft is a monopoly and they will do absolutely everything in their power to stay that way. They don't care what is best for the consumer, they care what is best for themselves.

Also, some of the articles you have put up there aren't trashing vista. Some of them are talking about a particular thing that Microsoft did, some are talking about a particular bad thing, in some there are good things said about vista.

I thought my article on the DRM in Vista was actually quite fair...Vista's DRM and You. I was in no way bashing Vista, but rather pointing out what was and was not going on with the DRM. ???? That's Anti- Microsoft? I have yet to actually get my hands on a copy of Vista(and probably won't for some time...personal issues). The comments made by the Editors were, IMHO, spot on. It's not being anti-Microsoft to point out flaws in execution or design. I know that I would do the same for MS as I would for Linux or apple Is ANY OS Ready for the Desktop?

Much of the Bad press about Vista is hype. Some of it holds a grain of truth. Vista isn't the best thing since sliced bread. It's going to become a standard eventually, due to prebundled systems and XP's end of life cycle. XP has been a decent operating system and some of the stuff in Vista has only been put in there to restrict the user, at the bequest of the **AA's. The basics of the EULA are the same as when XP came out, but there are slight changes which could lead to a bad path, were Microsoft to enforce the more anal parts of it.

Just because there is a lot of bad things being said, it doesn't make them true. It also doesn't make them UNTRUE. It is not the responsibility of this or any website to make the choice of whether or not Vista is right for you. That onus falls squarely on your shoulders. If you don't like what's being said, then I recommend that you do the research and send in an article to the front page. Give your interpretation of how things are.

Greetings!
jtjuska said:
I don't look at it from a performance standpoint because frankly everything flies on vista ...
And it should fly!
You have a GPU powered UI, SuperFetch is filling the RAM of potential needed data, ReadyBoost is making so that you dont need to go to the HD as often, etc ...

So, compared to XP, Vista FEELS faster. Yet, it IS slower.

Probably it will mature, probably future hardware will disguise its flaws, probably manufacturers will finally provide mature drivers (nVidia...), etc. But, even if nothing of this happens, DX10 will make the move to Vista unavoidable.

To be honest, I'd rather hear about problems with Vista. If I'm looking to buy it, I probably already know the good things about it. I'd want to know about any potential problems that I'll run into...If it really is true and objective, then it's not anti-MS just because its pointing out flaws. I'd call it informative.

kayson said:
To be honest, I'd rather hear about problems with Vista. If I'm looking to buy it, I probably already know the good things about it. I'd want to know about any potential problems that I'll run into...If it really is true and objective, then it's not anti-MS just because its pointing out flaws. I'd call it informative.

thats a good point

However reiews and news are supposed to be unbiased ,and unfortunately that is not the case a lot of the time.

The quote the OP posted sums it up very well

"I hate Apple but I hate Microsoft just as much"

Pretty much invalidates anything that person has to say.

Benchmarks and game framerates dont mean anything to me. Benchmarks especially as few of them relate to any real windows experience. The time it taks to enocde a movie for instance. If its an hour, or an hour and 15 minutes.. .either way I am getting up and leaving the computer while its doing it, or in the case of ual core... do whatever else I wanted... Gaming? as when XP came out everyone was championing windows 98SE as the gamers platform of choice. Because of course.. smaller OS with less features (err I mean bloat)

Now we have the same argument again.

Its so bizzare to see people that stay on the cutting edge of hardware, and update their drivers religiously etc are so luddite when it comes to a new OS.

Hey dont get me wrong... dont want to run it... thats cool

And I love seeing the benchmark posts people do... makes me really jealous at times...

But I really like Vista and it works and is smooth for me, I would recommend it to anyone with a new system :)

Neur0mancer said:
thats a good point

However reiews and news are supposed to be unbiased ,and unfortunately that is not the case a lot of the time.
That may be true, but people often are quick to call something biased.

The quote the OP posted sums it up very well

"I hate Apple but I hate Microsoft just as much"

Pretty much invalidates anything that person has to say.

I think this quote is being taken in totally the wrong way. I consider myself to be a very fair person: if I give a review of anything, be it a Microsoft product or not, I will make sure to include everything, good or bad. (You'll just have to take my word for it) I would have no hesitation in saying that I hate Microsoft. Its more a statement on principle than anything else. I'm not saying "I hate microsoft as a company, so I'm gonna give bad reviews of its products". That just doesn't make any sense, and I dont think the article on the front page is trying to send that message. Its always been a fair judge in the articles I've read.

But I really like Vista and it works and is smooth for me, I would recommend it to anyone with a new system :)
I really think its a case by case basis. Obviously the incompatibility issues are gonna be a strong factor for a lot of people. If my peripherals and hardware won't work with Vista, I'm definitely not going to upgrade (if I ever do get the money). If it works for you, props to you and enjoy it. I dunno if I wanna deal with the UAC and all the "bloat," but it really is a matter of personal preference.

@Deadbot1_1973 - that particular article was not nessairly anti-vista or anti-M$, but I certainly wouldnt put in in the pro or positive catagory. Same for a few other of those articles. Not anti, but nowhere near pro.

I agree, I want to hear about issues with Vista, but it has gone beyond that. People are reading only bad stuff, cause they dont see any good stuff posted, and are telling people thier opinions all based on negative articles.

WeezleXX89 said:
NO. dont get Vista yet. one good thing is its somewhat immune to viruses but the bad thing is it dissables p2p file sharing and other modds if you know what i mean. Ur best bet is XP. wait a year till results come in.

I mean WTF? You hear crap like that all the time, they make it sound like Vista is a complete POS, and you will screw up your system by installing it. Heck, I was mostly happy with RC2, now that I have RTM, it is even better!

I was talking to my GFs dad today, I mentioned I ordered a copy of Vista, and he thought I was nuts cause it was supper buggy and a waste of money, cause that is what he was hearing around! I sat him down on my computer, and showed him the new features, and what Vista could do, and now he wants a copy of Home Premium, and to hook his computer to his LCD TV so he can easily watch his downloads on his TV with the Media Center.

I know there are people who will use Win2k till the death, and everything else is crap, but come on people, lets try to balance things out a bit. M$ may be a big bad monopoly (must be why people are not running to Mac and linux in droves... cant be cause M$ has a good product), but give them some credit for thier hard work and money spent fixing stuff people complain about in XP, and improving upon it.

Oroka Sempai said:
@M$ may be a big bad monopoly (must be why people are not running to Mac and linux in droves... cant be cause M$ has a good product), but give them some credit for thier hard work and money spent fixing stuff people complain about in XP, and improving upon it.
First of all, it has nothing to do with a good product or not. Microsoft has locked everyone into its formats. Only now are open source formats starting to become widely used. Just by virtue of compatibility issues people will continue to use windows even if it does suck.

But anyways,

Vista did fix a lot of things, and I've heard a lot about the improvements. Unfortunately, it seems for everything they improved from xp, they messed up something else. I understand that an OS is a huge undertaking, and its impossible to get it perfect, but I'd rather wait for a majority of the kinks to get worked out. (or at least enough that I can use my PC unhindered)

Vista apparently is better for 3dmark 03 and 05 by a fair amount so saying Vista is slower in benchmarks is something that just isn't true.

I think i'll buy Vista sometime in the future since it seems like it will be a pretty good OS in about 6-12months.

speed bump said:
I think i'll buy Vista sometime in the future since it seems like it will be a pretty good OS in about 6-12months.

Why in 6-12 months? People keep saying you should wait about a year, or till SP1 comes out. What bugs are you expecting to worked out specifically?

If someone said they are waiting to upgrade cause the drivers just are not there, i could understand wanting to wait, but that is not cause Vista is a bad OS. Just generally waiting for what? If you wait 6-12 months, XP will have been updated (more), and a few (more) bugs worked out, does this mean we should not install XP?

Just a note, I am not trying to judge anyone or point blame, I just want to hash out why people are saying what they are saying about Vista.

2 reasons I will wait explained...

1. Cost... if history serves as an example...the price will drop a little in the future.

2 Drivers and bug fixes.... Once again...if history serves an example....when XP came out it took some time for drivers and hot fixes to make the system really start to shine. In general I'd say 6 months, but with Microsoft already saying that they are planning a service pack in that time frame, I'm inclined to wait 12. The reasoning is that I already have XP and the new OS doesn't do anything special for me, combined with the fact that I feel in 12 months time almost all of the kinks should be worked out.

When I finally moved to XP, it was roughly 12 months after its release. I also don't fit the bill of a "bleeding" edge, hardcore overclocker. My machines are generally on the backside of the power curve where the price to performance ratios meet up. After many years of trying to stay at the front of the curve, I realized how much money I was wasting. For the most part, Vista isn't doing anything really new and it has a lot of things in it that are disturbing if not actually bad. It's a new OS, made for new systems, and as such it ALMOST requires new hardware. This adds to the cost, for what amounts to some eye candy and a few security bits that are as yet unproven. While you can run it on todays hardware, it's just like XP was in the beginning...going to feel a bit bloated and sluggish. You're talking to a crowd of people here that are all about getting the last ounce out of their machines. Anything that takes a step backward from that is considered blasphemy.

As far as specific bugs....who knows ....yet. Just like XP, the black hats are going to go over Vista with a fine tooth comb to get the most use out of it for botnets and such. There's always some jackass who will feel a need to write a nasty virus or worm that will affect a new thing. That's what I expect. In a years time most if not all of the gaping holes that will be found will be patched up. Am I saying that gaping holes exist? NO, and yet yes. They are more than likely there, waiting to be found. In 6 months the black hats should have found them all and tried to exploit the majority of them. In 12 months the white hats will have had time to plug them all up.

Why I won't upgrade to Vista:

1. I don't need it. I can game, surf the net, write emails, watch movies, listen to music, open up Open Office perfectly fine on XP.

2. I don't see the need to shell out 200-300 CHF on a new operating system when I don't need it.

3. I already have the AeroGlass interface thanks to the freeware transformation pack that is doing its rounds on the net.

4. I don't see the need for DX10 yet. If I absolutley need it to play some future game I might consider moving over to Vista, or maybe not, better to not play the game than spend 5 times the price of the game on Vista. Even better I might try looking around for a version of DX10 for XP if one ever comes out.

5. The DRM thing that MS is doing isn't looking too good to me.

Two points:

1) There is no such thing as a lack of bias when it comes to this - everything is based on opinions and interpretations.

2) If you think that oc.com need a positive article highlighting the good parts of vista then write and submit one.

David said:
Two points:

1) There is no such thing as a lack of bias when it comes to this - everything is based on opinions and interpretations.

2) If you think that oc.com need a positive article highlighting the good parts of vista then write and submit one.

David,

None of the opinions are any different dating back to Windows 3.1. If you substitute "Windows 3.1 sux, Windows 95 sux, Windows ME sux" for Vista, nothing has changed. It all gets sorted out in time and Vista will eventually be just fine.

good move for apple?
lol and people complain vista uses ram? OSX runs like crap on 512 or less, it really does and everyone on mac-forums.com will back that claim up

as much as i love my mac book, if i didnt have my 1g i woudl hate it, and lately i notice stuttering and such with firefox, so the thought it is so fast and smooth is really turning out not to be so true!

So anyways, vista will get bashed like XP did and life will go on :)

Everyone hates you when your on the top.

Back