• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What size screws for rad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcll2002

I bought some yate loons to replace my deltas which have fan noise and are pushing air through. The problem is, with the radbox installed, its virtually impossible to get the screws out without either braking something or just doing something stupid ;)

So anyway, I want to mount these fans on a "pull" side of the rad. There were a few screws holding a fangrill on there, but they arent nearly long enough to go through the fans into the rad.

I have 2" ones but they dont even fit in the rad (too wide)

Thanks

I believe you are looking for 6-32 screws. I have purchased 6-32 threaded rods from McMaster. It was super easy because they come in different sizes. I got 6" rods and will be holding a fan to each side of the rad and then to the case. Might want to get some rubber washers for noise cancelation

What kind of rad do you have? Are there mounting holes already there? If not use 4-40 or 6-32 all thread depending on the fin spacing on your rad and make sure you use oversized fender washers on the backside of the radiator to avoid crushing the cooling fins and doing damage to your radiator. If there are mounting holes provided then tap the holes using a 6-32 tap and use 6-32 1/2" buttonhead capscrews to mount the fans.

Last edited:
jcll2002 said:

Ok cool then just mount them like I did on mine. I had to tap the holes with a 6-32 tap and then mount your fans. If they will hold my fans they will easily hold any fans you would use.

However since your rad comes with the holes pretapped to 3.5 mm then just use some 1/2" 3.5mm screws to do the job

PCPncBracket2.JPG

PCPnCBracket1.JPG

lol @ 30watts. I'm only 16 and I'm not sure exactly which screws you are talking about (And what washers?)

my god, you practically need another power supply just to run your fans. Awesome. That's deliciously excessive:thup:

the screw thikness is 6G its called a self tapping sheet metal screw. the lengh its about 10mm but you can trimm it down with file if you wish.

nice fans btw what are they??? brand rpm etc etc?

you know what would be even more delicious? ... if you had another 3 more on the other side.

what kind of noise are you getting on it? you use a fan controller?

Back