• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project $5 case mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

downer

Here is my previous setup:

228794757.jpg

And now, after the transition of the water cooling parts into an old ATX case:

228794227.jpg

228792740.jpg

228792717.jpg

228792730.jpg

List of cooling parts:

Eheim 1250
Chevette Heater Core shrouded
Fedco 2-342 Heater core shrouded
Danger Den RBX w/ Brass top
Swiftech MCW60
(2) home depot 1/2" shut off valves

The whole mod only cost $5 for a set of dremel heavy duty cutting wheels. I already had the other parts just sitting around. I added a second large single pass heater core (Fedco 2-342). I changed the inlet on the Eheim 1250 from 1/2" back to 5/8", which should improve flow. The pump is held to the floor of the case with velcro. The tubing is a mix of 1/2" and 7/16" tubing. I modified an old 200W PSU to run the radiator fans. Both radiator fans are 120mm Panaflo L1A's. I may switch one or both of them to M1A's depending on the difference in temperature I can achieve. Right now the noise level is quieter with two L1A's then one M1A in the previous setup. This setup also gets my computer off of my desk, which can be annoying when fans are 1' from your ears. The shut off valves were added to make it easier to change cooling hardware without having to drain the entire system.

The chevette heater core sits on two pieces of aluminum flat stock bent at a 90 degree angle which are bolted to the case. Zip ties hold it in place. The larger 2-342 heater core just fit into place in the front of the case and is held with zip ties. I had to modify the side panel to get it back on.

I'm pretty happy with this project. As far as temperatures go, I can't make a direct comparison to the old setup. Core Temp shows a load temp of the CPU at about 25-25C after priming, and GPU at 38C after playing CS:S. For future modifications I would like to reinforce the ATX case with some flat stock as I did cut away a lot of metal for the radiators. It's sturdy enough as is though.

Last edited:
great job so far! Your giving me some ideas... i just recently came into an Eheim 1250 with 1/2" ports on it, been trying to jam it all into a super lanboy :)

Nice choice in mid-tower to mod, i love those old gateway cases :) built like they needed to survive a thermo-nuclear attack, they dont make them like that anymore :p

I'm looking forward to seeing more later :)

~ Gos

That thing looks like it cools like a mother but that shiet looks UEBER GEEHETTO!

Broody

RIG RIDER said:
What a bad use of the word, it should read "Pimp Getto" :attn:

With that being said, I think it looks good, but you might need to cut the front for better airflow over the rad.

I was thinking of opening up the front, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do that yet and make it look half way decent. The way that the front curves. it would be hard to make a cut out for the radiator and fit a fan grill over it.

I wasn't really going for ghetto, but whatever it works.

Back