• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this setup cool my system dramatically?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trike007

I just built a xeon 3060/e6600 and i'm currently running too hot for my liking. I would also like to overclock alittle further. Currently i'm running at about 63C at 3.3Ghz I'm using a Tuniq Tower right now. I just can't seem to drop the temps down. I've been toying with the idea of watercooling this rig. Just not sure if spending ~$200 is justifiable for the price/performance.

This is what i have on my list so far. This is all going into a Antec P180.

Fuzion Water block
Swift tech micro reservoir
Swift tech mcp655 pump
Swift tech MCR120 radiator.

I was planning using a Late Yoon to cool the radiator.

Does anyone think this will drop my temps by at least 10C? Figure if i can drop it at least 10C i have a chance of getting over 3.6 on this chip.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks

P5B. I can boot at 3.6 right now. once I hit the start button on orthos, it dies. i've cranked the voltage as high as 1.6v in bios.

I can't get 3.4 stable. it'll run orthos for about 15mins then die, once I up the vcore a notch (1.5v), it'll die in about 5 mins.

Trike007 said:
I just built a xeon 3060/e6600 and i'm currently running too hot for my liking. I would also like to overclock alittle further. Currently i'm running at about 63C at 3.3Ghz I'm using a Tuniq Tower right now. I just can't seem to drop the temps down. I've been toying with the idea of watercooling this rig. Just not sure if spending ~$200 is justifiable for the price/performance.

This is what i have on my list so far. This is all going into a Antec P180.

Fuzion Water block
Swift tech micro reservoir
Swift tech mcp655 pump
Swift tech MCR120 radiator.

I was planning using a Late Yoon to cool the radiator.

Does anyone think this will drop my temps by at least 10C? Figure if i can drop it at least 10C i have a chance of getting over 3.6 on this chip.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Always get more radiator than you need if you can afford it and squeeze it into your case. What are you using your computer for? Gaming? You will benefit a lot more from water cooling and overclocking your video card than you will your processor. If you can, get both!

Anyway, water cooling is usually it's not justifiable in price/performance for the gains you will achieve buying them. The caveat is that you get to reuse most of the stuff with every upgrade thus increasing the performance of those parts too. Plus water cooling is just plain cool.

I currently have a HR-03 on my 1950xt. I do some gaming. but mainly just general work/photoshop.

I guess justifiable is relative. I guess if I know I can get 4ghz with this water cooling setup, it would be "justifiable". But I doubt it with the small sized radiator.

I don't want to hack my case up. I can fit a 120mm radiator on the case intake and I could also fit one in the rear exhaust. Not sure how much adding a single radiator will affect flow rate, but adding a second is an option.

That's a pretty damn good video card for just general work and photo editing. :p You don't have to hack your case up. Many people fit a 120x2 radiator on the top or back of their cases using stand offs. Many cases have 120mm rear exhausts or even top ones too. If you don't you can just drill the 4 holes. If you later decide to get rid of the water cooling setup and keep the case you can just put some small nuts/bolts in to fill the holes for a functional look.

Hehe. I just wanted to get a card that will at least play games decently *IF* I wanted to. ;)

I would like to keep the profile of the system as small as possible. I don't want to mount the radiator on the exterior. One of the reasons being significant other factor and desk space limitation. Since there are really 3 120mm openings (top, exhaust, intake). I could easily fit two but I guess I would be concerned about flow rate. I could potentially mount a 320 on the very top, but i lose the 5.25" bay and would only be able to cool half the radiator since there is only 1 exhaust hole.

If only I can get to 3.6 on air, this wouldn't even be an issue. Maybe I should step away from the ledge and be happy with 3.3.

this is my system i want to put it in.

IMG_0623.jpg

Thanks!

If you want to go with the 120mm radiator, that's fine, but bigger radiator = more heat dissipated = higher overclocks (usually). You could mount it on top and it won't increase the footprint of your computer. You just might not like the aesthetics. I prefer internal too.

Thanks Alien!

Does anybody have any feedback on how well a single 120mm radiator will cool?

Yeah. I may put the stock cooler back on tonight to see how the temps are at stock speeds. just a PITA to change out the fans.

Thanks!

A single rad might work OK if you're just putting the CPU in the loop. But you might consider a big Delta w/a fan controller just in case ...

Last edited:
Trike007 said:
Thanks Alien!

Not very well... get at least a dual rad. Otherwise, stick with what you have.

Trike007 said:
Hehe. I just wanted to get a card that will at least play games decently *IF* I wanted to. ;)

I would like to keep the profile of the system as small as possible. I don't want to mount the radiator on the exterior. One of the reasons being significant other factor and desk space limitation. Since there are really 3 120mm openings (top, exhaust, intake). I could easily fit two but I guess I would be concerned about flow rate. I could potentially mount a 320 on the very top, but i lose the 5.25" bay and would only be able to cool half the radiator since there is only 1 exhaust hole.

If only I can get to 3.6 on air, this wouldn't even be an issue. Maybe I should step away from the ledge and be happy with 3.3.

this is my system i want to put it in.

IMG_0623.jpg

Thanks!
I just wanted to say... for a P180 that is a nice job of wire management... Very clean.

Ducatti,

Thanks!

I'm still debating on what to do. I put the computer under my desk now and man does it heat up the room. I have to turn off the computer when i'm sleeping to keep from sweating. Jesus.

I really would like to water cool it though. but want to keep everything internal. what if I put 3 single 120mm radiators with 2 mcp 655? would it still stay quiet?

I really do need to put the stock cooler back on to see if my tuniq is bad.

Trike007 said:
I really would like to water cool it though. but want to keep everything internal. what if I put 3 single 120mm radiators with 2 mcp 655? would it still stay quiet?
If you've got 2 MCP655s you can probably turn them down to P3 - they're almost silent that way ... :)

nikhsub1 said:
Not very well... get at least a dual rad. Otherwise, stick with what you have.
I would love to se some numbers to support this. I was just about to post that a single rad is plenty for a stock or slightly overclocked system, and will give you better cooling than air. Dual rad if you intend to do heavy overclocking with CPU and dual GPU's.

Triple rads are as far as I'm concerned only useful if you want to cool a high clocked system to near room temp with extremely silent fans. For anything else they are complete overkill. Feel free to prove me wrong with numbers.

What's your vcore set at? I'm running my e6700 at 3.33 at 1.475v and my load temps are about 53C, idle is about 44C. Also, lapping the IHS and the tuniq's base should help alot, at least it did for me.

Back