• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x 512

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swatdog

Hey all, so I bought 2x 512MB sticks of HyperX (KH3200AK2/1GB) to put in my computer because I wanted to add them to my 2x 512GB I already have in there. But I've run into some problems (kind of as expected). I have a DFI NF4 Ultra-D mobo. The memory I currently have in there are generic A-DATA PC3200 modules running at looser timings compared to the HyperX. But what I'm wondering is if it's possible to mix these two sets of modules together to have 2GB memory as I originally planned? Are there things that I need to tweak?

What I did was I'm having my mobo automatically detect timings on the A-DATA, and I have them set up in 1T mode on single channel, so I figured that since the HyperX is much better, then it could handle the looser timings required by the ADATA modules, and so it should work. But when I tried to put the HX modules in the other channel slots, I'm not booting up at all and my mobo is yelling (beeping) at me.

Any suggestions short of buying another 2 modules of HyperX?

Wouldn't they all be set at auto if that's what I have it set at in the motherboard? I'm confused.... Oh and I also set it to 2T as well... nothing yet...

Swatdog said:
I'm confused....
Me too it seems, sorry I didnt read your OP properly :eek:

If they dont run at 2T then it must just be the board doesnt like mixed RAM.

Have you tried one stick of each in single channel, loose timings, 2T? If that doesnt work then it's the board being picky.

Clockwork_Apple said:
Me too it seems, sorry I didnt read your OP properly :eek:

If they dont run at 2T then it must just be the board doesnt like mixed RAM.

Have you tried one stick of each in single channel, loose timings, 2T? If that doesnt work then it's the board being picky.

I'll try it....

I've got mixed memory in my DFI Infinity, and it's working nicely. I would guess all DFI boards would take it nicely, maybe not... Or maybe one or both of the new sticks are dead?

reclaimer122 said:
I've got mixed memory in my DFI Infinity, and it's working nicely. I would guess all DFI boards would take it nicely, maybe not... Or maybe one or both of the new sticks are dead?

Well I just tried what Clockwork_Apple suggested, and that didn't work... Although usually when the board was being a real anus, the diag LEDs were showing 3 lit solid, and then it would scream at me, but when I mixed 1 stick with another in single channel using 2T, it got passed the third light (which means that the memory was recognized) but it remained stuck on the second light, but it still wouldn't post. I dont know.....

All of the memory works I know that for sure, because I was running just the HyperX modules today for a while to test them.

Ahh. My guess then would be the board :/ I would think DFI would have close to the same ram settings for all their boards. Although I have never used those 2 brands with this board. Well, good luck. I need to get some sleep... I'm wiped out...

what is the voltage rating for the two ram sets. Set all timings and voltages manually.Set the voltage to the higher voltages of the two different memory.

Well I had all the dimms running at 2.7 instead of 2.6 just to give it a little room to work. I did that when I tried the mixed modules (1 each) described in the post above, and it seemed that it was almost going to work but it didn't.

Althought something wierd did happen after I increased the voltages... It did get into Windows but it only registered as 512MB when I actually had 1GB in it (512 from each different module).

I didn't manually set the timings though... What would be your recommendation?

2.5-3-3-8 2T would be my starting point, or maybe even 3-3-3-8 2T, A64's memory controller is not REAL good at doing 4 sticks of ram at once, especially if some of them are already pretty low quality units. You're stuck with 2T no matter what, and the rest of the settings have to be at LEAST as loose as the slowest ram, or possibly slower. My A8N SLI runs ok at 2.5-3-3-7 2T with Corsair Valueram C2.5/400 mhz and Patriot PC3200 2-3-2-5, which sucks im weighing down the patriot, but I'm not in the mood to ante for another pair of good 512s, if anything I may try and get a pair of high end 1gb sticks but even those tend to have timing problems.

Back