• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Opteron WBs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Excelsior

KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!!
Ahh,

It's been a while since I've been here. How's everyone?

I'm thinking about going back to WaterCooling. I used to make some HC/RAD setups and sell them (made a total of like 8? or so.) so I'm covered in that respect. Tubing is no issue. Clamps are no issue, and I think I may have a pump or two lying around somewhere.

Now: I've been out of it for a while. What's the most decent socket 940 WB that costs under $30-40. I need to buy two, so I can't really go berserk here. I'm currently using two large-assed Scythe ninjas and 120mm fans. It's getting a bit cumbersome. I remember seeing a few deals for some decent TC-4 OR similar blocks going for $25 in cyber-deals. I'm just looking for the latest deal that's going on, I suppose.

Second of all is there a BayRes that takes up 2-3 bays that I could pick up? I have a total of 8 5.25 bays and I only use 1-3 at maximum, so I can fit a larger res in there. Just looking for something that isn't known to be leaky and that is decently cheap.

So, can someone bring me up to speed?

Also, specs if anyone is interested:

500W fortron blue SomethingSomething PSU
2x Opteron 252s
Asus K8N-DL
Corsair XMS pc3200 registered
Nvidia 8800 GTS (POS drivers)
2x 250GB WD Caviars in raid0
1x 120GB seagate randomharddrivethatwasonsale.

Thanks,

Ex.

I would say pick up some swiftech apogees(the MCW6002's replacement) unfortunetly they are over $40 each. If you like playing with hose you could pick up a couple of Whitewaters for cheap.

Right now the swiftech micro res seems to be pretty popular. There are some good 2-3 bay res's out there but unfortunetly most are kind of expensive.

Very nice setup. I started my K8N-DL with Opt 244 CG with 2 different loops merging in the GPU block. I choosed Swiftech G4 STORMS because I was going to use a pump and a low restriction rad for each one. If you are thinking to build your system in series or upgrade later on to dually optys (virtual quad core) I recomend Swiftech 6002 if you are able to still find them, second option Swiftech Apogee or Dtek Fusion that are less restrictive. I like so much the STORMS that I have risked my 2 new 265 optys removing the IHS (successfully) to still be able to achieve good temps. I have new pumps so when I decide to remodel my rig I will try different configs to see if its possible to have two STORMS in series and how big the difference in temps there is between them.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
I'm sure you can run 2 apogees in series and a 120.3 rad with a DDC+ with modded top or a D5 and achieve reasonable temps.

Back