• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 680i Questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tunnel

I am going to purchase the EVGA 680i mb with a intel e6600 CPU.

I have some questions about power issues.

The board requires 1 x 8 pin ATX and 1 x 24 pin.

My PSU is 450W only has a 4 pin ATX and 1 x 20 pin .

Would this be okay or would i need a new PSU.

In the manual it says you can use a 4 pin but 8 pin is highly reccomended. But it does not say anything about the 24 pin connecter.

I believe you'll need a new PSU. The 24 pin connector is the main power connector for the motherboard, the 8 pin connector is to provide power for the CPU.

Airbornederekc said:
get a nice psu. the last thing you want to happen is have your 35 dollar psu kill your 900 dollars in other components

I was going to spend more then 35 dollars. Christ thats like 20GBP. I was going o spend about 60GBP which is 115 dollars.

Also i received my 680i today but the chipset fan has snapped away from its main frame. There is also one already located on the chipset. so i was given 2 in total Does this matter that one is broken and will i be able to survive with one? I didnt know they supplied 2 with the board.

if 65 is your limit get this, its the same as the seasonic units, that ocz isnt worth anything near that price.

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=PSC-520WHX

this is probably the best on that site for that price range, aside from maybe an enermax, they dont have any etasis made silverstones either.
If you can shop elsewhere look for the 500 and 600 zippy gaming power supplies, the 500 should be in your price range.

tunnel said:
I was going to spend more then 35 dollars. Christ thats like 20GBP. I was going o spend about 60GBP which is 115 dollars.

Also i received my 680i today but the chipset fan has snapped away from its main frame. There is also one already located on the chipset. so i was given 2 in total Does this matter that one is broken and will i be able to survive with one? I didnt know they supplied 2 with the board.

Hey, you must have mine!! :D

My original EVGA 680i board came with a chipset fan, but the board was DOA. The replacement I got from Newegg was missing the fan entirely. I really dont want to RMA just for a chipset fan, but I certainly need one for my FSB overclocking goals.

Gonna have to call EVGA support to see if they can send out my fan. :bang head

Surfrider77 said:
Hey, you must have mine!! :D

My original EVGA 680i board came with a chipset fan, but the board was DOA. The replacement I got from Newegg was missing the fan entirely. I really dont want to RMA just for a chipset fan, but I certainly need one for my FSB overclocking goals.

Gonna have to call EVGA support to see if they can send out my fan. :bang head

sorry i dont understand what you mean by i must have yours.

tunnel said:
sorry i dont understand what you mean by i must have yours.

You said you got two chipset fans (1 extra)... I was saying that EVGA messed up and didnt include one in my board. I was jokingly inferring that you must have got my missing fan. :rolleyes:

Surfrider77 said:
You said you got two chipset fans (1 extra)... I was saying that EVGA messed up and didnt include one in my board. I was jokingly inferring that you must have got my missing fan. :rolleyes:

Oh right lol. So are you only meant to get one chipset fan? and will i be okay with only having one. I dont want this one to die on me and be stuck with no chipset fan.

Sorry for the double post guys.

Is this motherboard supposed to come with a Backplate? If not where do i get one from or does it come with my cpu?

tunnel said:
Sorry for the double post guys.

Is this motherboard supposed to come with a Backplate? If not where do i get one from or does it come with my cpu?

No backplate on the stock board.

Most aftermarket CPU coolers (like Zalman and Tuniq) come with backplates to add.

Back