• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1gb DDR500 vs 2gb DDR400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

I would like to get some fast memory. Unfortunately at this time, the memory I would like in particular is ridiculously expensive IMO. So I am considering stepping down to 1gig of ram.

For those familiar with the game, I primarily use my PC to play WoW. And according to my logitech G15 keyboard performance monitor, I am normally above 51% when I game in wow with the normal programs open in the background(ventrillo and a web browser). What that exactly means, I am not sure.

Now a 4x512 setup is an option, but im not sure how that will run either.

So to the best of your knowledge is stepping down to 1gig(2x512) a good idea? Maybe 4x512? Or save my chips and shell out for some good memory.

--pak

pak said:
I would like to get some fast memory. Unfortunately at this time, the memory I would like in particular is ridiculously expensive IMO. So I am considering stepping down to 1gig of ram.

For those familiar with the game, I primarily use my PC to play WoW. And according to my logitech G15 keyboard performance monitor, I am normally above 51% when I game in wow with the normal programs open in the background(ventrillo and a web browser). What that exactly means, I am not sure.

Now a 4x512 setup is an option, but im not sure how that will run either.

So to the best of your knowledge is stepping down to 1gig(2x512) a good idea? Maybe 4x512? Or save my chips and shell out for some good memory.

--pak

Pak,

4 x 512 doesn't seem to be a good idea on most boards. 2 x 1 gb is the default choice of most guys here whatever you're running.

You can sell your value RAMs and buy a faster 2 x 1 gb kit. I know they ain't cheap but do it once and you're done.

I would just get me some good DDR500 2x1gb. There have been tons of these kits in the clasies recently in the $200 to 250 range. I just picked up 2x1gb DDR500 Mushkin Redlines for $225 shipped in the classies. Sold my old RAM for a total of $160 so it was a pretty cheap upgrade.

I wouldn't bother, you won't see an increase by getting faster ram. It'd definitly stick with the 2gb you have now. (stick with 2x1gb, not 4x512mb)

I agree that 2gb DDR500 kits are too expenseive. I picked up my DDR500 kit for less than $200 a while ago. The same kit is $250+ now. If I sold my kit now I'd probably make a profit.

I will agree that the returns are minimual. Didin't even shave a second off my Super PI time going from 4x512MB @ 200 MHz, 2-3-3-6 2t to 2x1gb @ 255 MHz 3-3-3-8 1t. The looser timings of the faster RAM degrade any performance that the faster speed gave you. If I had to do it again I would just have kept my 4x512 until I get DDR2 but you live and learn.

Immortal_Hero said:
I will agree that the returns are minimual. Didin't even shave a second off my Super PI time going from 4x512MB @ 200 MHz, 2-3-3-6 2t to 2x1gb @ 255 MHz 3-3-3-8 1t. The looser timings of the faster RAM degrade any performance that the faster speed gave you. If I had to do it again I would just have kept my 4x512 until I get DDR2 but you live and learn.

Your post is throwing me off. You say you agree, but I think your saying the opposite of everyone else. If I understand correctly, your saying that there isnt much of a gain from 4x512 vs 2x1gig. It think everyone is saying there is.

correct me if I am wrong.

--pak

pak said:
Your post is throwing me off. You say you agree, but I think your saying the opposite of everyone else. If I understand correctly, your saying that there isnt much of a gain from 4x512 vs 2x1gig. It think everyone is saying there is.

correct me if I am wrong.

--pak

Pak,

I'll speak for myself. 4x512 presents other issues if they are not exactly the same. That's is chips, timings, etc. You'll have to run them on 2T and at the slowest speed of the slowest stick.

A 2x1 gb kit is better and easier to setup if you're inexperienced or even if you are experienced. They can be value RAM or premium RAM pairs. They are just less hassle and will give you better performance.

Back