• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Overclocking problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stitch

Registered
Today I went for a simple overclock on my CPU. Entered BIOS, messed around a little bit, came out with around 3GHz, and decided to see how that would work. Saved my settings and rebooted. As my computer started to reboot, it suddenly shut off. Then it started back up again...and again, shut off. It is continually looping a reboot, and I cant even get to the BIOS screen. I've already tried removing the battery for a little to clear the CMOS, but nothing. I'm running on a DS3 motherboard. Second time I've had this boot problem. The first time it was due to trying to update my BIOS using a flash utility.

I've already purchased a new motherboard since GIGABYTE seems to be having many problems, and they don't even appear to have customer support. However, if anyone has had similar problems, or if they know what could be the problem, I'd be very thankful. I wouldn't mind getting my computer running until I can replace my motherboard.

If you had a bad BIOS flash then you need to reflash it. But doesn't that board have a BIOS reset jumper to use instead of the battery? Use it or take the battery out and leave it out for a good 10 minutes or so, if that doesn't fix it then you might have a bad BIOS and need the reflash.

Next time try playing with the clocks in Windows first. That will give you an idea of where you can get the clock safely. Set it in Windows, test it, if it passes then set it in the BIOS and test it thoroughly.

I remember having the jumper for BIOS reset, but I initially took it off when I first built the computer because of booting problems, and I apparently lost it. Any ideas on what I can do?

I took a jumper off an old HD and tried resetting the CMOS that way. No good, same problem. Could anyone know what the problem may be? Any possible way of getting out of this predicament?

stitch said:
As my computer started to reboot, it suddenly shut off.
First off, jumping a E6400 2.13GHz to 3ghz by "messed around a little bit," is like testing you car's air bags by driving into a brick wall at 100mph. Read some stickies on overclocking.

Second , the ATS12v 2.0 standard requires that the PSU supply a constant voltage to the BIOS chip, even when the PSU is switched off. In order to reset the BIOS you have to remove the battery (disables the battery backup BIOS power), disconnect the PSU from the wall outlet (disables the PSU power to the BIOS), and short out the BIOS jumper on the MOBO. The BIOS jumpers will, when the other two power sources are disconnected, dump the BIOS settings and reset everything in the BIOS to their default settings. Then hook up everything again the way it was. This will result in a boot up with the BIOS set to it's default settings. If the BIOS was corrupted, then you have to reflash it too. Note, corrupted and wrong settings are two different things. Wrong settings can be corcted by resetting all the settings to their defaults using the jumper as above. A corrupted BIOS must be reflashed.

Sounds like you have the clear CMOS jumper on the wrong pins. Look up in the manual to see what the proper default jumper position is supposed to be.

billb said:
First off, jumping a E6400 2.13GHz to 3ghz by "messed around a little bit," is like testing you car's air bags by driving into a brick wall at 100mph. Read some stickies on overclocking.

Sorry, that was a mistype. I attempted to get a add 0.3GHz.

Back