• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are you doing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Your OS choice? Poll

• Total voters
i already upgraded to ultimate x86

the only problem i have is with dx10 SLI driver support for my 8800gtx's and finalized drivers for my xfi fatal1ty soundcard

Going to stay with XP till Vista has been 'proven'. I don't want to deal with drivers, software, issues, or etc. I'll probably wait a year and let everyone else work out the bugs first. I'll eventually go Ultimate OEM 64-bit.

I'm already running Ultimate 64 - I have a technet account so I get all this stuff in my subscription. Let me say this to all of you that are weary of Vista; I was too, the betas were utter dung IMO. While the OS looks the same as RC2 (for the most part) it works LEAPS and bounds better, it is like a different OS altogether. I was mortified at the betas, after messing with them for 2 hours they got uninstalled. 64 bit is the way to go IMO, it is much more secure for starters. Driver support so far (at least for me) has been the same as with x86. Note though, have at least 2GB of ram as it will help performance. What some people do not understand about Vista is that it uses ram much differently than and previous MS OS. It caches a LOT so it appears all memory is being used, this is not the case. As memory is needed for programs or whatever, the cache releases memory on demand. I have to say that Vista IMO is much speedier than XP.

I got in on the free Business too, but I'll be waiting until my next system build. Probably be towards the end of summer/early fall.

I should have done that since I'm about to upgrade and move my current main rig to dedicated folding. Hopefully I'll still be able to use this vista since I haven't registered it yet? I guess otherwise I'll have to call ms and see if I can talk them into giving me a new activation number like they have so many times with xp :)

I'm going to wait it out for a few months I think but if I keep hearing good things about it I might jump on it sooner. :D

I will be staying with XP for a while on my main machine. I will probably get Vista and put it on one of my other machines, but hold out on my main rig until all of the major bugs are worked out, or until I upgrade.

I bought Home premium retail with my new rig and have it running on there now. I'm liking it so far but I am having problems running a lot of my games. Dark Messiah and Company of Heroes just CTD after intros.

Really this isnt the OS's fault I think but rather Nvidia's drivers for the 8800GTX. So that aside it seems like a pretty solid OS. Recovers from the very few errors I've had VERY quickly sometimes without even needing to reboot. Normally I would wait on buying a new OS right at launch but I think all-in-all I'm glad I didnt this time even if it will take some tweaking to get a few things working.

good idea for a poll.... i voted stay with my current OS.. as im happy with fedora and xp, and have heard lots and lots of bad things about vista.....

If I had not gotten it for free, I would have voted stay with my current OS. I just do not have the money to spend to get a decent Version of Vista. But I am glad I did upgrade.

As a Vista Beta tester I totally agree with nikhsub. The Betas were slow buggy and left a lot to be desired. The final product though is smooth and quick and works great. There are some growing pains as with any new OS, they are less microsoft then User acclimation pains though. Certain things that we took for granted to be able to do in XP is more complicated in Vista (like writing to protected system folders) but everything is still doable :)

(And its purdy too :) )

Did, done and been using for months striaght. IMO XPs install and driver capatibility off the start is garbage to what Vista offers in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes currently. I'm amazed how easy it was to install so with that said VISTA is on here and its here to stay.

Most of my rigs at home are pretty much set up and stable with XP Pro. However, I am testing Vista on one machine part time. I have a few machines that I expect haven't quite got the horsepower for Vista, but I'm not even considering moving to Vista full bore until I'm satisfied with Vista's stability which probably won't be until after SP1 (for which I voted).

I really like Vista, but I have 2 problems that have stumped and completely bothered me since install. Catalyst control center has bugs of not working at random times (sometimes doesn't even load when the computer boots and the screen won't open). At one point I had over 100 CLI.exe processes in my task manager. The second bug is that I can't get file and print sharing to work between this computer and my XP computer.

Other than those two issues which I have spent days trying to solve, I am happy with the OS. Fast booting, program support for everything else is good, games rum smooth, the flow of the system is nice. I like how most of the menues are organized even though it has taken a little getting used to.

You should have included the option of dual boot. That's what I'm going to do in the foreseeable future. I'm running Vista business as my primary os now, but I'm keeping XP on a different partition in case I need it. What I'll probably do eventually is dual boot 2 versions of Vista, 64bit and 32bit, after 64bit drivers and compatibility get worked out. I'm guessing that'll be after a year or two when I upgrade my current computer.

I just went from RC2 to RTM, and there is quite a diffrence. My onboard NICs work now, and I went from using nearly 1GB of RAM at idle to as low as 512mb. Looks identical, sounds a bit diffrent, runs ALOT more smoothly. I am looking forward to seeing what they do with the Ultimate Extras. There are alot of cool things in the wind.

You can almost say I dual boot. My server is XP Pro, and I use it through RDC. If I really need something that only works in XP, I can use my server.

Last edited:
Back