• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evga 680i problems..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isquarei11

Just recently upgraded from a 3800+ amd dual to an e6600 and evga 680i.

I installed the board, everything seems fine, cpu seated correctly, memory seated correctly, video card fine.

Turns on, random shut down after anywhere from 5-30 seconds. Can access the bios and such but still shuts down after a small amount of time. Memory tests fine, cpu tests fine during POST. Heatsinks/Fans installed properly. Disconnected all HD's and Dvd burners, as well as every pci card. Only things attached are the ram (2 gig Corsair XMS2), video card, and power connectons to the Mobo itself. My question is also, i only have the 4 pin atx connection, which the manual says will work, but it supposedly should use an 8 pin. Is this the problem? My power supply isn't weak or old and I could get the model number if neccesary.
(wall of text)

Psu (Forton 500w i believe? I forget the exact model number, its blue.)
CPU-E6600
Mobo-EVga 680i
Stock heatsink/fan
Ram-Corsair XMS2 2GB (ddr2 800)
Vid-Evga 7800 GT

Thats all that is hooked up.

Messed with the ram, still nothing. Next I'm thinking about trying the mobo outside of the case to see if its a possible grounding issue. My last mobo died when I woke up in the morn, went to power it on, got a static shock, mobo turned on without hitting power button. Boom, fried mobo.

Tried it out of the casing to test to see if it was grounding issues. Placed mobo on the static bag and box etc. Still shut down after a short amount of time. :(

Is there any error codes on the motherboard display?
You may want to try re-seating the CPU. Double check your power and make sure everything is pluged in good. Put your memory in the other slots to see if maybe you have a bad one.
Do you know anyone that has a 8 pin PSU that you could test with?

psu needs to be replaced. had this same exact problem with a DFI board and an enermax psu. Threw in a new PSU and everything was hunky-dory.

soulfly1448 said:
psu needs to be replaced. had this same exact problem with a DFI board and an enermax psu. Threw in a new PSU and everything was hunky-dory.
Sounds like a good bet. I'd like to hear if it worked.

isquarei11,

If you've just come from AMD and have not done a format or at least repair, this is not that uncommon to have various issues.

Flinch

Back