• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with vista x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Europa

i have a few problems

1: need a driver for a canon canoscan N670(i looked none are X64 compatible)

2 diskeeper pro is saying something abput VSS shadow copy & i need it deactivated

3 i keep getting these programs did not start up

I see they have 32bit vista drivers but no 64, one of the bad signs imo is they never did XP64 drivers, so you may be out of luck.

What one are you using, Diskeeper 2007 Vista Home, Diskeeper 2007 Vista Professional or Diskeeper 2007 Vista Pro Premier.
Let me know and I'll down the trial and see if it works for me.

Version 9 is around 2 years old if im not wrong, and seeing how they have just done 3 Vista versions I'd say its not supported let alone with 64bit vista.

Printer Drivers are hit and miss

If there is a 64 bit driver for XP then they will probably support Vista... But most companies are doubtful on both counts.

One great exception is brother.. The released x64 drivers before 64bit was released.. .they do not have Vista drivers AFAIK... but they are intrinsically supported...

Anyway

3rd point

The "programs blocked from starting up prompt is EXACTLY liek hte msconfig from XP... except programs are being blocked automatically...

What you have to do is open the prompt and find the way to make the same selction you did in XP to not get the prompt everytime "Do not restart and do not run at startup"

I forget excatly how I came acroos it in the windows Defender dialouge... might not have been very easy.. i do forget how... but its possible... I will be reinstalling soon and I will take note of what I do to get rid of it.. .in hte meantime.. play around :)

Diskeeper Pro Vista 2007 works fine on my Home Premium 64bit Vista.

When you say "update is not compatible" is that an update for version 9 or did you give the above a go ?

i clicked Check for updates on diskeeper 9

& i did do anything for XP to tell me that some programs are blocked

Rattle said:
go to 32bit vista 64 bit is more trouble than its worth at this point.
Why do you say that?

Unless you have hardware that you know to be unsupported, I don't see any reason to not use 64 bit.

Rattle said:
yeah i dont see any reason not use it either

its just more of a PITA than it should be
Personally I haven't had a signle issue, but then I'm running fairly new hardware and I'm not really dependant on any unusual software.

On the other hand, you don't really gain anything by using 64bit. Some performance gains here and there, but nothing significant really.

So far Ive found very little that I cant make work, be it something like version 9 diskeeper, your right it wont work but there is a new version that will.
So finding software to do what I use to hasnt been to hard, thougt it may cost you more $$
Slower, cant test that at this time, but Im still getting over how fast it feels.

O&O V8 defrag works in 64 bit. Epson printers does 64 bit printer drivers, the only company that i know of that doesnt is lexmark but they do do it for their newer printers. How old is your printer? If it is newer i would be surprised if they wouldnt have 64 bit drivers. If you want 64 bit help you can try planetamd64.com. They have helped me in the past though they don't get near the traffic amount that would make it really helpful.

I'll just point out that the OP is talking about his Scanner not a printer.
Europa said:
1: need a driver for a canon canoscan N670(i looked none are X64 compatible)
And this scanner is over 6 years old, thats why I think he may be out of luck for 64bit drivers

Last edited:
with something that old i think he is toast. Buy a new three in one from someone you know has good 64 bit support. I have had good luck with epson for driver support but i hear sometimes their printers are subpar though i have had great luck with mine. Anyways. Good luck with 64 bit.

Back