• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Vista Install/SATA Drive question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bem

Registered
I have new build where I've installed Vista on a P5B with 2 WD Cavier SE16 WD2500KS 250G SATA HD and a E6400 Core2Duo. I'm not using RAID so what would be the best way to set up these drives. What should my BIOS setting for the Jmicron SATA mode be set at IDE or AHCI?
I remember when I did a XP install I had to use F6 and install a Intel Matrix Storage Manager. During my Vista install I didn't get any prompts looking for a similar driver.
Also do I still need to install the Intel Chipset Inf program with Vista or is this only for other operating systems?
Any help would be appreciated.

you dont have to do anything special really, plug them into sata 1 and 2 where the bundle of 6 is, OS drive being 1.

Go in the main page of the bios then hit IDE config
Sata config enhanced

configure sata as IDE

DONE

as far as the chipset INF, vista puts in everythign you need aside from a video card driver.

Thanks Rattle.
I was hoping that I was OK with my current configuration.

drives are faster with ahci enabled so go and grab the latest intel matrix storage manager - it does not matter if you're on raid or not, it will install latest ahci driver.

i had same probs some time ago and just after intel published IMSM for vista the prob was gone :)

Back