• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the maximum size SATA HDD supported by IS7-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

valerebel

Hi folks

I have an IS7-E (latest bios) and am considering buying a SATA HDD for it but I see that a previous bios update corrected incorrect size readings for 200/250 & 300 GB SATA drives from incorrectly reading 136GB

I fancy either a WD 400Gb or 500GB but would like to know if these SATA drives are fully compatible with the mobo. I don't want to buy one and find it reports the incorrect capacity.

Also, I am guessing that the IS7-E is SATA 1 only!

Cheers.

valerebel

Right, it's only SATA I, but any SATA II is backward compatible, just won't run as fast. Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question, but my AI7 uses the same chipset and I have a 160 gig SATA drive in it. No problem recognizing the full amount of the drive. Therefore, if you got... say a 320 gig drive... then worst case you'd have to partition it into two 160 gig drives. Not sure about the big 400/500 gig drives.

EDIT: I see what you were talking about. BIOS version 17 says this: Fixed HDD size detected as 136GB when 200/250/300 GB SATA drives are connected to SATA1 or SATA2 (ICH5 SATA channels).

In that case, a 500 gig drive can probably be partitioned into two 250 gig drives.

Last edited:
Thanks Batboy

I suppose that partitioning a 400GB or 500GB drive would be the answer if the a single partition is not recognised for its true capacity but maybe there is someone out there that has a one of these drives in their setup.

Could also buy 2 x 200GB or 2 x 250GB just in case.

Cheers

valerebel

Back