• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmsch

Oh man I think I fried my mobo. I went and removed my two IDE HDDs and installed a 74GB Raptor and a Maxtor 320GB SATA 2. When I put everything back again and hit the power button my BIOS had defaulted to safe settings. No big deal I thought.
Then it just shut down. Nothing happens when I hit power button. Little gren LED on mobo is lit. So I unplug and wait a few minutes. It powers up, but no monitor. It shuts itself down. Again no power when power button is pushed. Unplug and wait a few minutes. Powers up but again no monitor.
I hit the reset button and it keeps resetting like crazy. Finally it stops, so I unplug it again and wait. Plug it back in and there is no little green light, so I figure PSU fried. I try testing the PSU by jumping the green and black wires...no power. OK it must be fried.
So I get another PSU and my green light is lit again, but again no monitor. So I try a different vid card...no joy. So I try the other PCI-E socket...still nothing. So I hurriedly built a PC I was going to build for spec and maybe sell on Ebay. The vid card works.
I'm thinking my PSU is fried and it took my mobo with it. But why?
Does anybody know what happened? Should I buy another PSU and try that, or do I definitely need both PSU and mobo? How would I test the mobo? I am really upset :(

P.S. I kept my current SATA drives on the Asus Easy RAID as they have always been and put the Raptor on SATA #1 and the Max on SATA #3...there is no SATA #2.

hi, the only way to test if your mobo is dead is to get some parts (i.e. cpu, ram, gpu) from another computer or a friend and put it on your fried mobo. be sure to check if your PSU is ok so get a multimeter and check voltages.

good luck

When the computer was restarting did you unplug the HDs and just try to boot without them? If you did not fully plug in one of the power plugs that can cause the PSU to overload and automatically shut down. Like the HD power plug or to the mobo or anywhere else. Could have been a short somewhere.

For the motherboard I don't know if the P5W has the same problem as the P5B, but many people had problems with the P5B not posting. Sometimes having to wait a day or two before it would just magically post to the monitor. I have a similar issue sometimes, but my fix is just to turn off everything and turn off the powerstrip for a minute, then turn everything back on one by one.

When the powersupply goes... well yeah a lot can go with it. I've had two powersupplies die on me and I've lost a HD and a motherboard before. This was when 300watt powersupplies were the norm and it never seemed like there was a difference. Ultra powersupplies I wouldn't think are made with high quality components since I see the 500v+ versions go for $14.99 at Frys all the time. Don't know if they have a higher end version that isn't so bad though.

I did a process of elimination test. I tested everything except the mobo, and everything worked but the PSU. I ordered a Corsair 620hx and another p5w dh dlx.
Now I only hope that the Asus easy RAID config will read all the data I have on my two HDDs. I do have most of it backed up on an IDE drive just in case. Might be time to invest in an external drive for backup.
I think the problem came from doing the work in a sub zero garage and the SATA cables going to the new HDDs I was trying to install cracked.

After I look at things again it might be possible that I plugged the front panel IEEE Firewire into the USB header on the mobo and vice versa. I am not sure if I did this or not, but would this cause my mobo to revert to default BIOS settings and then get fried?

jimmsch said:
After I look at things again it might be possible that I plugged the front panel IEEE Firewire into the USB header on the mobo and vice versa. I am not sure if I did this or not, but would this cause my mobo to revert to default BIOS settings and then get fried?

no way...

g luck :)

Well I guess it was the mobo. I got my new one(still P5W DH Dlx) and new PSU...see sig. All is back in order. I was even smarter than I ever thought...ALL my important stuff was backed up on IDE drive. I copied it all over and am happy. Only thing I am a little down on is the new CPU. I put in a X6800 and it doesn't seem to OC as well as my E6600 did.

Back