• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can be the guinea pig! ORdered up some 2 X 2GB Gskills

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Just ordered up a set of these puppies from the Egg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231122

Gskill DDR2-800 5-5-5-15 (which I plan on running 4-4-4-8) and 2 X 2GB (4 gig kit)

Hopefully they work with my P5B Deluxe, and hopefully windows Vista does not have any issues with these sticks. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
I ended up buying these because I plan on having MS ship me a 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate and I may upgrade to 8GB's of ram in the not so distant future.

Stay tuned to this thread.

Dom

Yeah I am pretty excited but have been doing some research about 2X2GB Gskill kits having compatibility issues with the P5B so I am keeping my fingers crossed until I get the sticks on Tuesday.

8 Gigs in Vista64 would be kick arse. I also hope these IC's can take 4-4-4 @ ddr2-800..

I'm happy to report that all is well with the 4 gig kits and a P5B Deluxe mobo + Vista!!!

Everything is working great. I am using 4-4-4 timings on these sticks at stock voltage and 400mhz! Cheers.

Hipcrostino said:
dom, it is clear you spend lots a $$$ on your comp, its a freaken beast, but like T-Virus said, its way way over the top (i wish i was like that)

Eh, if we could all afford it, I'm sure we'd be playing as much as Dom does :)

Guys, who said I have 8GB's of ram?
I bought 4, for future prospect of having 8GB. Currently I only own 4GB. Which is more a common occurence since the inception of Vista.

So far, it seems that these IC's are very finicky. 840 mhz, 4-4-4 @ stock volts is about it. I am afraid to push any voltage into them because #1 the Gskill rep says they do better on low volts (1.8 to 1.9), and #2 they are crazy expensive and the warranty is more important to me.

Dom

Wow, that's actually quite respectable all things considered. 400MHz 5-5-5 stock, you got it up to 420MHz 4-4-4. Not bad at all for a 2x2 set. Much better than I was expecting actually.

I got these same sticks for me and my bro. So far seem to be working fine. I am running the Gskill 2x2GB sticks + 2 512 sticks of mushkin for a total of 5GB. Thing is, when I boot up, the bios is only showing 3.5GB. Also shows 3.5GB in Vista. I tried just running the 2GB sticks and when I do that it only shows 2.5GB. Just for fun I installed all 4 2GB sticks just to see what 8GB looks like LOL. With 8GB installed I only see 6.5GB on bootup and in Vista. Whats up with the missing 1.5GB? Dom do you see all 4GB in windows and on bootup? The only place it shows the full 5GB is in CPUZ.

BTW I'm running BIOS 1004

hyperasus said:
I got these same sticks for me and my bro. So far seem to be working fine. I am running the Gskill 2x2GB sticks + 2 512 sticks of mushkin for a total of 5GB. Thing is, when I boot up, the bios is only showing 3.5GB. Also shows 3.5GB in Vista. I tried just running the 2GB sticks and when I do that it only shows 2.5GB. Just for fun I installed all 4 2GB sticks just to see what 8GB looks like LOL. With 8GB installed I only see 6.5GB on bootup and in Vista. Whats up with the missing 1.5GB? Dom do you see all 4GB in windows and on bootup? The only place it shows the full 5GB is in CPUZ.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9193/5gboframtm5.jpg

BTW I'm running BIOS 1004
I don't remember where I saw it(it was on the forum, though) but I'm pretty sure it's just a setting in the BIOS that you need to change. I will keep searching.

OK I found it. I had to enable the "Memory Remap Feature" in the North Bridge chipset configuration. Now I am seeing all of my RAM.

Back