• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No response trying to play DVD movies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

videobruce

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this isn't hardware related. I can read the DVD on either DVD drive in Windows (2k), but I can't play any movie.

I had PowerDVD installed, but had issues (unrelated) with it so I uninstalled it manually since I couldn't do do from add/remove programs (received error message). I searched the drive for all the file names associalted with the program (PowerDVD & Cyberlink). Then I used a Regestry Crawler to do the same. I did check the names to be sure there wasn't anythging that shouldn't be removed the best I could (there was a couple of hundred).

I installed a older DVD program (that I used before), but it won't play any DVD on either drive. These are orginal movies, not backups.

I can read the DVD on either drive, so it's not a hardware issue. I can read other DVDs' and burn DVDs' (including movie backups) with no issue.

Any ideas? (BTW, I don't want to re-install PowerDVD again).

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I did have a related issue with PowerDVD. I tried to get rid of that nagging registration screen by typing in a fake e-mail address and it locked the program. I couldn't play anything afterwards. It just would keep either freezing up or just not playing the DVD, so I uninstalled it.

Back