• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM limiting my overclockability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raptord

Hey all,

I'm trying to overclock my 3800 X2 from 2.0 to somewhere around 2.4Ghz, and right now I can get to 2.3 with stock vCore. However, if I try to get to 2.35Ghz, I get overall instability and orthos fails in a few seconds. If I give it 1.375 vCore (from 1.35 stock), I can get it to run more-or-less stable at 2.35, but 2.4 fails ~immediately.

I know my RAM is the culprit here, because if I test with small FFT's in orthos, it runs fine, but if I use large FFT's, to test the RAM, it stops within a few seconds. I've tried changing the timings and putting on a very low divider (stock 200mhz, I'm putting it at 133 or 150).

Can anyone tell me what I should change?

My specs should be in my sig, but let me know if you need any more info, and Il'l be glad to give it to you.

Can anyone help me out? Should I try even higher timings, like 3-5-5-10? Should I give it more voltage?

Don't worry about pushing your ram, just run a divider and call it a day. To test memory alone run memtest. If memtest runs for 1-2 cycles without errors, then the ram is ok.

What's your HTT multiplier? The bus should run under 1000mhz, don't worry about pushing it. Main thing is to get your cpu clock speed up.

HTT multi is at 3x, so that's fine.

RAM is already on a divider, its running at 150mhz right now rather than 200. (if I dont overclock)

I'm not trying to push my ram, i want to get it stable.

Back