• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista... 32-bit or 64-bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fritzman

Let me say that I waded through all the headlines for a few pages here before posting this, but if it's already been dealt with... please fick me a link and I'll go eat my boot!

I am presently running XP-Pro, and do the usual stuff... OfficePro03, a little gaming, etc.

I plan (initially anyways) to run dual boot XP-Pro alongside Vista Ultimate (OEM), but simply have no idea what the difference is between 32-bit and 64-bit other than 64-bit is more secure.

Hoping someone can either point me to some simple info, or give me a wee synopsis.

Ta

Okay... I don't like vista at all. But I think that if you are going to move to vista in a dual boot situation... Go 64 bit. Not because it is more secure (because it isn't really) But because it gives you more ram upgrade possibilites... Less theoretical limits. Vista x86 is the same as XP except with more bugs. At least x64 has a different set :D.
I don't know I just figure if you are going to put up with incompatibilities... Why not put up with them all at once and get it done with. Rather then a halfway step. Move completely into it. (keep the dual boot for sure though). And another things... If you do not have a DX 10 card. DO NOT get vista. There is no point to it. It's not really more secure though it does act secure.

fritzman said:
I plan (initially anyways) to run dual boot XP-Pro alongside Vista Ultimate (OEM), but simply have no idea what the difference is between 32-bit and 64-bit other than 64-bit is more secure. Hoping someone can either point me to some simple info, or give me a wee synopsis.
Windows Vista Feature Focus: 64-Bit (x64) Support
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_ff_x64.asp

Windows Vista Product Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...bf-4823-4a12-afe1-5b40b2ad3725&DisplayLang=en

Back