• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

not so tech savvy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ody27

Registered
good day everyone. i was refered to this forum by a friend. i've read wiki and googled some, but cant find "dumbed-down" answers about memory that i need.
i'm looking at getting 1gb of ddr2 6400 for now. my mobo supports "dual channel", but i don't understand it too well. do i have to get two sticks of 512 to have the dual-chan or can i use 1 stick of 1gb incase i want to upgrade down the road?
the rig i'm looking at building is an AMD 64-bit x2 3800 with the ASUS M2N-E mobo.

thank you,
ody

You would need to have two sticks of ram in specific slots on the motherboard to run in dual channel.

And welcome to the forums!

hmm, if i get the 2x512, and down the road i get a 1gb stick, i can only mix it with one of the 512s right? also, if there are two different types of slots on my mobo, i can only use up to two at a time, right?

Back