• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Real-Life Story . . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad Maniac

I have a small addition related to this article.

I work at a small local PC retailer in the UK, and we've only recently started coming across the Vista problem. Not problems with people wanting it, a lot of people seems to want to, but when you start quoting them prices then so far all of them have gone back to "Well, maybe XP isn't so bad after all".
I can't justify equipping a £250 PC with £120 RAM and £75 for a graphics card. I just can't...

They say, "what about this new Vista?"
Then I reply "Yeah sure, your PC needs to double in price to run it"

They either go somewhere else, or go with XP Home for £60 and are happy.

Note: To me, Vista Basic is not a vial option, and doesn't even exist. Vista Home Premium is the lowest cost version of Visa there is. Why would you want to get LESS functionality than XP, and not even get the Aero interface, which, let's face it, is all Vista has to most people? So Vista Premium it is, and that needs 2GB RAM and a 128MB DX9 graphics card, we've tried it on a huge range of hardware. Sure it runs with 1GB, and you can disable Aero and use onboard graphics, but then we're back to "Aero is all people want from Vista"...

This whole thing is rather tricky, and XP i looking like a pretty good alternative.

One thing about Vista and Windows in general is that I have to backup all my stuff before I can install Vista on my HD, catch is I only have one HD... Never had to do that with Macs. Isn't there a simple replace XP with Vista install option? If not there should be, this is the 21st century dammit.

Well, vista brings several othe rimprovements, like hardware support and such.. But I wnt be upgrading to it any time soon, or not at least until I get a new rig. (current one isnt worth vista)

Yeah its funny you have real world examples of people saying "think i will stick with xp" because iv been asking for a long time what is is Vista actually does?

So far no one has come up with any real answer. XP runs everything any of us need, or thats critical for business, fast reliable, and today it is rather secure too.

Vista on the other hand, sure it has good points and bad points, but the question you wind up asking yourself is this. "WTF does it do?"

Seriously someone please answer this burning question for me, i dont care about its pretty interface, lack of drivers and all the things people commonly point to. I want to know, WTF Vista actually does for me, does it help me make more money? Does it make my life better? Can it do important things i cant do now with my current OS? Is there some killer app it has im not aware of?

Honestly u cant blame pirates for low sales when you spent 5 years making a product, that not even hardcore nerds can justify ripping off for free then installing.

Iv typically always installed new OS's but Vista is just like WTF is it!????!

And if a nerd like me can't figure out what Vista does, you sure as hell can't expect a bunch of tightass consumers to spend large amounts of money on a product thats kind of like a faulty handgrenade in pretty wrapping paper.

Phrenetical said:
Yeah its funny you have real world examples of people saying "think i will stick with xp" because iv been asking for a long time what is is Vista actually does?

So far no one has come up with any real answer. XP runs everything any of us need, or thats critical for business, fast reliable, and today it is rather secure too.

Vista on the other hand, sure it has good points and bad points, but the question you wind up asking yourself is this. "WTF does it do?"

Seriously someone please answer this burning question for me, i dont care about its pretty interface, lack of drivers and all the things people commonly point to. I want to know, WTF Vista actually does for me, does it help me make more money? Does it make my life better? Can it do important things i cant do now with my current OS? Is there some killer app it has im not aware of?

Honestly u cant blame pirates for low sales when you spent 5 years making a product, that not even hardcore nerds can justify ripping off for free then installing.

Iv typically always installed new OS's but Vista is just like WTF is it!????!

And if a nerd like me can't figure out what Vista does, you sure as hell can't expect a bunch of tightass consumers to spend large amounts of money on a product thats kind of like a faulty handgrenade in pretty wrapping paper.

Dude...TY for putting it that way. I think thats the answer or the question we really want to ask instead of MS's " If we build it they will come" attitude.

Neural Net said:
One thing about Vista and Windows in general is that I have to backup all my stuff before I can install Vista on my HD, catch is I only have one HD... Never had to do that with Macs. Isn't there a simple replace XP with Vista install option? If not there should be, this is the 21st century dammit.

If you only have one hard drive then if I were you I would borrow a HD from someone , or pick one up cheap here in the classifieds. Then back up all my data and partition my single hd into two partitions. Put all your data you want to backup on the second partition and then whenever you want to change or re-install your os you just backup data to the second partition and format the first and re-install.

hkgonra said:
If you only have one hard drive then if I were you I would borrow a HD from someone , or pick one up cheap here in the classifieds. Then back up all my data and partition my single hd into two partitions. Put all your data you want to backup on the second partition and then whenever you want to change or re-install your os you just backup data to the second partition and format the first and re-install.

That's what I will do when I get the chance, however the whole thing isn't very user friendly is it? :bang head :)

Neural Net said:
That's what I will do when I get the chance, however the whole thing isn't very user friendly is it? :bang head :)
It's actually pretty simple if you do it in the beginning.
If you need any pointers just let me know.

Back