• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software compatability for 64bit Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
This is a work in progress of how Myself and other Members have found software to work, or not as the case may be with 64bit Vista.

It is not meant to be a definitive guide but an idea of what to expect if you decide to try, Ive seen alot of posts bagging vista and especially the 64bit version. And I'd just like to show how some programs react from someone that is actually using it.

I have not tested every little function and feature, just the functions I would use though it should be safe to say they all would work.

3DMark01---------------------------------Works
3DMark03
3DMark05---------------------------------Works
3DMark06
Adobe Reader 8--------------------------Works
Aim 6.0.28.1------------------------------Works
Beyond TV 4.5---------------------------Installs fine, but after that just wont start
Canon CD LabelPrint Ver. 1.3.0-------Works
Canon Easy LayoutPrint Ver.1.0------Works
Canon Easy PhotoPrint Ver.3.6.0-----Works
Core Temp 0.94-------------------------Will not read temperature's, just shows 100c *(Fix)*
CPU-Z 1.38 ------------------------------Will load but shows very little info
CPU-Z 1.39------------------------------Works
Diskeeper Pro Vista 2007---------------Works
Divx Converter
DivX Player 6.4--------------------------Works - Please note the word "player"
Dr Divx
DVD Shrink 3.2--------------------------Works
LineWire 4.12.11-----------------------Works
Nero 6 -----------------------------------Will not work
Nero 7.7.5.1-----------------------------Works, On a side note works with DVD Shrink
Nod32------------------------------------Works
Office 2007-------------------------------Works
Office XP
Orthos Beta------------------------------Works
Paint Shop Pro 7.04---------------------Works
PCMark04
PCMark05--------------------------------Tests that failed, HDD - XP Startup, HDD - General Usage, Multithreaded Test 2 / Text Edit and Multithreaded Test 3 / HDD - Virus Scan
PhotoShop CS2-------------------------Works
Power Cinema 4------------------------Will not load
Power Cinema 5------------------------Works - Sound is a little crackly - would be my sound driver
Power DVD 6---------------------------Will not load
Power DVD 7----------------------------Works
Prime95---------------------------------Works
RivaTuner v2.0 RC 16--------------------Will not load
Super PI 1.5----------------------------Works
Uguru 3101-----------------------------Works
UT2004---------------------------------Works
Windows Media Center----------------Works with ATI 550pro TV Cards
wPrime 1.14a---------------------------Works but reads my speed wrong

Last edited:
Ok, i'm using 64bit ultimate version, so i think my used programs will also work on other 64bit versions. Here is the list:
eMule 0.47.2.66
uTorrent 1.6 (build 474)
soulseek 156c
total commander 7.0 public beta2
xchat 2.6.3
Nero 7.7.5.1
daemon408-139-x64
AIBooster 2.03.11
JetAudio 6
Daemon Tools 4.08HE
7zip 4.44 beta
notepad++ 4.0.1
iTunes 7.0.2.16
Skype 3.0.0.216
Folding@Home 5.03
mIRC 6.21
WinAmp 5.32
Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra Deluxe v7.2
MS Office 2007

and games:
Need For Speed Carbon
NBA Live '07

p.s. You could rename the thread to something like: 64bit windows vista compability or something ;)

This is not something I'd ever use, so to test it you can help.
Ive just installed aim version 6.0.28.1 and ive set myself up under DeanzoOCF :) now if you can tell me how to send/receive or send a hello to me and when I receive it I'll add this to the list.

Edit: Tested works fine

Last edited:
Hi.
I have vista x64 ultimate instaled and played nba live 07 but when I click on quit game...and should return to dinasty menu the game crashes. Does it happens to you to ?

I don't have vista yet but its on the way. Looks like a great thread to keep track of.

UT2004-works
UT2003-works
NFSHP2-works
MSworks 7.0-works
FDM 2.1-works
avast AV-works
WLM with WLM plus-works
diskeeper pro vista-works
Firefox 2.0.0.1-works
Thinderbird 1.5-works
limewire pro-works
Ulead gif animator 5-works
speedfan beta-works
DVD decrypter(last version)-works
Ndivia 7600GS(normally buggy on XPs drivers, not on vistas drivers)-works
canon canoscan N670-fail
realtek HD audio 7.1-works

OK here is my list of programs that i have running.

AIM 5.9
Azureus Bit Torrent Client
Weatherbug
APC Powerchute 2.0
Norton Antivirus Corporate 10.2
Excursion MIRC Client 9.5 (mirc 6.12)
Opera 9.10
HD Tach 3.0.1.0
DVDFab Decrypter 3.0.8.0
DVD Shrink 3.2
CCleaner 1.37.456
The Core Media Player
SiSoft Sandra Lite XI
Alcohol 120% 1.9.6 Build 4719
Adobe Reader 8.0
Ad-Aware SE Pro
Textpad 4.7
F.E.A.R
Raxco Perfect Disk 8.0
Winrar
all the 3dMark Benchies (to run 06 right click on icon and run as admin)
PCmark05

Here is what i have issues with

Ntune (cant do jack with it. it installs fine but there is no functionality)

Also i think this might be sticky worthy to help identify issues with this os.

Besides where else can you find a place where theres an actual list of vista 64 compatible programs.

donciakas said:
and games:
Need For Speed Carbon
NBA Live '07

I cannot get Carbon to work (not in 64 nor in 32 bit Ultimate...) does it just work out of the box for you? I've gotten the game via EA Link

if an 32bit app still installs intothe directory /program files (32) then in the past Adobe CS 2 wouldnt install because it considered the ( ) a character it couldnt recognize :(

beastiedk said:
I cannot get Carbon to work (not in 64 nor in 32 bit Ultimate...) does it just work out of the box for you? I've gotten the game via EA Link

I got it to work on Vista HP x64 by setting compatability to Win 98 and letting the program run in administrator mode, Then renamed the folder MOVIES which is in your games installation folder.

it runs very smoothly for me but that said the antialiasing options seems to have a mind of it's own, sometimes it's on and sometimes it's not. I have an ATI card in and have resorted to using the settings in Catalyst to change it rather on relying on the game remembering it's settings. To be honest tho half the time I don't notice as I'm going too fast lol :burn:

Does not work:

Nero IN-CD. Anyone that uses their CD-RW as a hard drive, (like me), you're in trouble. I had to end up going to a friend's 32-bit Vista PC to get everything copied off the Nero IN-CD and burned to a regular CD. PITA! I prefer backing up my emails/pics/docs on a weekly basis to CD-RW instead of constantly burning new CD's. And i'm too cheap/lazy to look into getting a USB drive. Besides i have too many pics.

Works with disabling Vista features:

CoreTemp and RMClock. Disabling just the UAC won't make them run. You need to enter a certain command through the dos prompt. There's a thread about it here too. From what I remember, the same thing goes for RMClock, though you may just need to disable UAC for this.

Does not work:

Nero IN-CD. Anyone that uses their CD-RW as a hard drive, (like me), you're in trouble. I had to end up going to a friend's 32-bit Vista PC to get everything copied off the Nero IN-CD and burned to a regular CD. PITA! I prefer backing up my emails/pics/docs on a weekly basis to CD-RW instead of constantly burning new CD's.

CoreTemp and RMClock. Disabling UAC won't make them run. You need to enter a certain command through the dos prompt. There's a thread about it here too. From what I remember, the same thing goes for RMClock, though you may just need to disable UAC for this.

Back