• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista and Nvidia sucks for gaming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thaclassikz

Version 97.46 of the nvidia drivers for my 7900gs vista ultimate really doesn't do the video card justice. When running in XP i had upwards of 99fps but now i'm getting 30fps and less with vista.

thaclassikz said:
Version 97.46 of the nvidia drivers for my 7900gs vista ultimate really doesn't do the video card justice. When running in XP i had upwards of 99fps but now i'm getting 30fps and less with vista.

Try these drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.59.html

nVidia said:
Updated January 31, 2007: NVIDIA has a newer Beta driver for GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs that is available to download. Please visit this website if you want to download the new driver.

NVIDIA is committed to supporting Microsoft Windows Vista on current and previous GPU generations. It's important to us that you have an excellent experience through the Vista transition, and driver development is the highest priority in our company.

We are working diligently to make sure we achieve and maintain the level of driver quality and reliability that NVIDIA is known for. Over the coming weeks NVIDIA and our partners, along with the industry, will continue to update Windows Vista drivers to ensure maximum performance on 3D applications and add feature support.

For those of you that are using Windows Vista and experiencing any problems, we've set up a website for bug reporting – http://www.nvidia.com/vistaqualityassurance. Our product managers will be reviewing this information daily and will be contacting users to help resolve any issues they might be experiencing.

I wouldnt go as far as that "Vista and Nvidia sucks for gaming"
But you are right there drivers at this point are a let down, and the beta isnt any better for me.

Drivers just need to be fine tuned for Vista, its as simple as that.

Exactly the same way WinXP unfolded when it was released.

i think the mac comercials about vista pretty much sum it up... vista sucks at the time being... even 32 bit the drivers suck... i can imagine 64 bit espically how good windows xp 64 bit took off:rolleyes:

Vista hurts gaming performance generally. Too much else going on.

This is probably not nVidia's fault, but rather just a function of Vista in general. Each MS OS has increased the resources required to run the basic OS functions. Vista has done this to a far more dramatic extent than other upgrades. So, if you are going to run Vista, expect it to eat into your performance on applications where you really need everything you can get. If you don't have a high end system, don't even think about upgrading.

If you're web browsing and emailing, you won't see it on a fairly powerful machine. If you're gaming, every bit of power counts... and Vista is going to eat a lot more than XP and lower OS's will.

You might try turning off Aero (if you are in fact running it) to free up some resources and essentially turning your machine into an XP machine (or even win 2k style machine). I know that sort of defeats the point, but it might get you some speed back.

Part of the problem may be that Windows Vista regards so much of the machine as untrusted though, so a lot of stuff gets encrypted and decrypted moving around between different parts of the computer. This eats a lot of resources.

Games slo? Yes but they work. Try Office 2000 and see what happens.
Vista runs out of memory and I have 4 gig. Go fig:bang head

On my XPS M1710 with 2G or ram at idle nothing running but the OS Vista reports that 26% of my RAM is being used? 505 MB or RAM just when the OS is running...WOW now I realize that the OS is probably pre-cacheing a ton of crap it doesn't need and might free it up down the road if needed but seems pretty pointless.

I don't really get why everyone claims perfomance is horrible under vista. I've been using it weeks now and have been quite impressed. The current nvidia drivers are pretty sad, but they function.

As far as ram usage, keep in mind that superfetch eats up; a ton of ram, but will release it as needed. Alt tab out of a game while its running to check out whats going on sometime.

Lynn Bo: there is no way under normal ussage that you should run of of ram with 4GB. Show us a screenshot.

I've only ran out of ram once, and that was due to a poorly writen program.

Well, I just played through half life 2 last week and I noticed no performance issues at 1680x1050 4xAA 8xAF. Now I don't have before and after FPS numbers to compare after upgrading to XP, but my gaming experience was great.

Still getting good framerate when I play Enemy Territory, though it is a dated title. Gonna try farcry this week.

BTW, I am using the 100.59 drivers

A note about desabling areo, there's no point as it won't free up any video resources (possibly a little RAM).
Firingsquad already tested this

Back