• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro help! Task Manager Disappeared

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you type "taskmgr" in the run box does it launch then? My 2 guesses are virus or data corruption due to overclocking. I'd run a virus scan, then maybe a chkdsk to see if you come up with any problems.

In addition to johnz suggestions, make sure to check for spyware using Spybot S&D or an equivalent. You might also want to run the following registry edit...

Enable the Task Manager (Line 51 RH side)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Download it to your Desktop, and then double click it to merge the contents into your registry. If you'd like to view the contents, you can open it up in Notepad (right click-->Edit) before merging it.

redduc900 said:
In addition to johnz suggestions, make sure to check for spyware using Spybot S&D or an equivalent. You might also want to run the following registry edit...

Enable the Task Manager (Line 51 RH side)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Download it to your Desktop, and then double click it to merge the contents into your registry. If you'd like to view the contents, you can open it up in Notepad (right click-->Edit) before merging it.

Must be havin a bad day, cant download to my desktop, all I get is the notepad view :(

bluenotebacker said:
Must be havin a bad day, cant download to my desktop, all I get is the notepad view :(
Right-click, "Save Link As.."

Or you can just copy and save the text as a .reg file.

I had the same problem on this PC i am using now (which is my brothers and it's slow) anyways it wouldn't not show. I did the registry thing red told me to do and it worked until I restarted in the end I backed-up everything and installed a fresh copy. Mind you the original installation of his XP lasted about 2 years and it was degrading over time so it really needed doing anyways.

Back